naked girls beside the road are a distraction... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

naked girls beside the road are a distraction...

made you look!

but really, I was out riding with buddies this weekend and had a bit of a scare, but can't figure out what I did wrong. went into a tight right posted for 15mph. I was behind my buddy riding two up with his girlfriend on a '73 BMW, 300+lb., bach shocks shot, and those skinny tires. They made it through just fine. I went in at the same speed, maybe slower. It felt wrong, felt bad. I don't think it was too fast, but maybe too slow... or maybe the front dived funny because it's a bit soft. The turn is also banked steep. I stood the bike up, hit the brakes, stopped after about no more than 25 feet. Did cross the double yellow, thank god there was no oncoming traffic.

Any ideas about what I might have done wrong? How could I have saved it? I do not want to repeat crossing into the oncoming lanes ever again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:17 AM

Don't dis the old Beemers. There's a hairy dude in GA with a huge old ass boxer with the Frankenstein forks that will ride most anyone into the ground.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:21 AM
Retired Moderator

Hi Ronin369, yes you made me look
OK here is my opinion, of course I could be wrong.
Don't underestimate 70 BMWs, I know how they handle because I own one. (R76/6 1975) They can be ridden really hard until the valve covers touch the ground if the tarmac is perfect.
Almost all of them have the same shocks at the rear by now, and they re Koni Dial a Rides, they re good enough. Their handling is almost not affected at all by riding with a passenger, so this isn't a factor here.
In any case if the BMW went through the curve with no problem, you certainly shouldn't have a problem either on your SV, even with soft fork etc.
So, I think you should look elsewhere for the answer to the problem.
Did you have the same line going in the turn?
There is no way that I know of, that going too slow will make you hit the brakes in a turn... You mention that maybe your fork dived too much and that maybe that was that made you 'stand up the bike and hit the brakes'.
In reality it usually goes the other way round. Think of the situation again in your mind. Could it be that you were still braking while going in the turn, thus making your fork dive, felt unsafe and then hit the brakes harder, which made the bike stand up and run over the yellow line?
Maybe your friend is more experienced than you, rides his BMW for many years and knows what to expect from it, or maybe he knew that particular bend an dwas prepared for it. Or maybe I'm wrong
But it's worth considering what you really did, because the SV really has superior handling than the BMW, except if you also had a passenger.
Could it be that because of the low speed you got yourself countesteering into the bend although the speed was too low for that?

I think you could have saved it by just letting the brakes and lean the bike to take the turn. The BMW has more weight and a 100/90 -19 front tire, your SV has a 120/60 17 front (if I'm not mistaken) so the contact patch on the SV is slightly bigger for much less weight also.

Aris
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:32 AM

He's right in that it is hard to diagnose a problem like this on-line. However, it may sound simplistic, but it seems like maybe you didn't trust your bike. Rather than trying to stand the bike up, could you have stayed with the turn, keeping a steady throttle and counter-steering the bike even harder? Lots of things can upset a bike in a turn - braking, shifting, a tense rider, untimely weight shift, etc. How about going to that same turn and practicing: set up your entry speed, look through the turn, lean into it and accelerate out of it. Just a thought. Let us know how it turns out.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Oh I'm not dissing the BMW, that bike, with the low center of grav handles great, even with the back shock completely shot.

I had braked before the turn, took the same line as my buddy. I'm wondering because of the slow speed, and the steep banking of the road, and never taking a corner like this before. The drop in felt normal, but as the bank of the road got steeped at the apex, it just felt wrong I was having to muscle the bars to hold the line, the bike dived a good bit as it hit the road banking at the apex. It was like hitting a good dip in the road. The line I was taking went from good line to no line when I hit the banking at apex. The bike felt like it wanted to drop on its right side, I felt that if I counter steered hard to make the turn, it would lowside. I didn't brake till I stood the bike up. It felt like I was going to crash, and didn't have time to do something else to save it.

It already felt like it wanted to fall over, so leaning more didn't feel like an opption. Maybe l should have leaned more and added throttle

Last edited by Ronin369; 05-29-2002 at 06:53 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:58 AM

You could be right, in that while you followed the same line into the turn as the BMW, he got on the gas early and pulled himself thru the turn, whereas you did not, feared lowsiding at the apex and stood it up. Might be as simple as a throttle control issue. How about gearing? What gear were you in, and were your RPMs too low, which lead your fear of a speed "stall" ?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:05 AM
Retired Moderator

Hi again,
I think I understand what you felt now, my Kawa ZR7 was also feeling a little funny in slow bends until I installed the Hyperpro fork kit (progressive springs and thicker oil 15W). Like it wanted to run wide and didn't feel safe to push it more.
I hear the SV is also quite soft in the front, so maybe it's worth replacing the oil with thicker density or/and the springs.
Still, you would probably be able to take the bend since the BM went through as well, but felt unsafe and braked.
As Bonk pointed out, it 's certainly worth going that way again, if it's not really far, and go through the same bend again until you feel comfortable with it.

Aris
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the great advice. I got a better idea about how not to repeat this mistake. I'll thras that corner good next weekend, and tell you what happens
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:16 AM

Sounds good. Just remember, you've got a great bike and it will get you through that turn. Trust it and keep your technique relaxed and smooth and you'll be in good shape.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:12 PM

From your description, it sounds like you tried to turn in with the throttle off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode