older models??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

older models???

hey guys,
the last few bikes I've tried to buy were either bought or not what I wanted. but looking through the cycletrader I've seen there are a couple of old gs's in my area for cheap. one is a 79 850, the other is a 83 1100, but needs tlc. are these nice bikes, did they come with 5 or 6 speed trannys, I've been looking for info, but all I find is model info and pictures. I'm thinking maybe a cafe racer, or street fighter instead of a full sportbike will be best for me right now. any info or comments on these bikes will be helpful, aslo what other models are kinda like these, naked street bikes or cafe racers, did other companies make? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:02 PM

I thought you were riding but just did'nt list your bike.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

no my friend, no bike for now, I've had bikes in the past, but none for now. trust me I got a digital camera waiting as soon as I get it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:50 PM

If I were to pick a used bike, it would be the V-Max. It hasn't changed much since '85 and is still one of the meanest bikes out there. If you want low maintenance, you might want to consider a used Nighthawk. I know it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's good and reliable. I was thinking of getting one, but fell in love with the SV. Good luck and happy riding.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

the only reason I'm going for these gs's is they are the only ones in the area for cheap. unfortunately most bikes for sale are in northern florida. oh well. on the plus side the suzuki gs has the most reliable motor ever built, according to the sites I've looked at.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
on the plus side the suzuki gs has the most reliable motor ever built, according to the sites I've looked at.
I've heard the same thing & that may be a good factor to consider in your purchase.

Good luck, Steve
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks, hopefully one of these guys will pick up there phone so I can buy a bike already. what ever I get I'll be buying a matching helmet and mesh jacket right after. but it would be cool to get a bike I don't care about so I could customize it all I want. add body panels take some away, new bars, funky paint......
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 10:53 AM

A couple things to note, if you want a street fighter or cafe racer, most 850, at least all of the ones I've seen are 850Gs which means shaft drive. What is the 1100?

If you are looking at a GS for a street fighter you probably are going to want to get a model with an E in it (E means it is the sportier model.)

Also, they eat stators. The stator is oil cooled, and if the oil level sinks a bit they will fry.

Last edited by Jay P; 06-02-2002 at 10:55 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

well thanks for the info guys, but all the bikes I was looking at were shaft drives. bikes are hard to come by in south florida and I now know why. when I was talking to a dealer they told me that 2/3's of the bikes they get in get exported to other states or countries. most don't stay in florida. well this sucks because if they did I'd have one by now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode