Hit and Run: Lesson learned - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Angry Hit and Run: Lesson learned

As many of you are aware of around phoenix, riders tend to flock to mill ave. on the weekends. One of the riders who you have probably seen many times there in the past is Ken. He rides a 96 GSX-R750, blue/white, with orange rims. He also wears green and white leathers. I ride with Ken frequently because he is a great rider and has taught me a lot. One thing that I love to tease him about is the fact that he wears his leathers all the time. If he had to ride across the street to the house on the other side, he would throw on his leathers. I always wear my leather jacket, jeans, boots, helmet, etc., but hate wearing full leathers. For me, I think I look like a fool, especially when I go down to mill or the pavillions, and plan on walking around. Ken, on the other hand, could care less what people think of him.

On Friday night, I learned why he always wears leathers. He was coming home from mill, by himself, traveling down a road that we take frequently due to the lack of traffic, at 1:30 in the morning. He was side swiped by what he thinks was a drunk driver, in a ford explorer. The ford hit his back tire and knocked the bike from beneath him sending him through the air. He landed on his head and knees. The helmet saved his life, and his leathers saved his skin. After he stopped tumbling, he was able to watch the explorer drive away, and his bike making sparks in the night. His bike is completely totaled. This is his second crash that he has walked away from, because of his helmet and leathers. Moral of the story, I'm gonna wear my leathers when I go across the street.

Roundel

Last edited by Roundel; 05-28-2002 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:47 PM

Re: Hit and Run: Lesson learned

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundel
For me, I think I look like a fool, especially when I go down to mill or the pavillions, and plan on walking around. Ken, on the other hand, could care less what people think of him. Roundel
What?

Your'e ashamed to be known as a sportbike rider?? Shame on you. I LOVE the reaction I get when I'm on a ride and go into a restaurant wearing my one-piece.

No one has said anything to me yet. What are they going to do to you? Your'e fully armored!!

Gold star for Ken. Black mark for Roundel
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Founder

Make sure ya tell Ken I'm glad he is ok!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079

What?

Your'e ashamed to be known as a sportbike rider?? Shame on you.

Ashamed?!?! Huh... I am totally puzzled by that statement.

Thanks Robert, I'll be sure to tell him...

Cheers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:00 AM

When I first moved to Alabama, I would go into some of the smaller towns on weekend rides. When people saw me wearing my leathers, they would tend to look around as if wondering where I had left my spaceship. On the other hand, I have been approached many times over the years by women who tell me "There's just somethig about a man in leather!" Wear the leathers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:32 AM

Apart from the obvious safety advantages of wearing leathers, there are numerous less salient reaons:

1. Babes/females/women are attracted to those male figures possessing the most favorable genotype - males who thereby possess the genetic statistical advantage to create progeny most capable of survival.

One such example would be authoritative figures. Uniforms are oftentimes subconsciously interpreted as symbols of authority, strength and virility. For example, how many women have you known that were attracted to cops?

This is reason enough to wear the leathers aside from the fact you may be saving some unfortunate woman from having an unholy union with someone possessing the dubious "character attributes" of a cop.

2. When you wear your gear, nobody (and I mean NOBODY) can kick your a$$.

Besides, who cares what a bunch of rednecks think or say? When long hair was in vogue, they sported crew-cuts. When long hair fell out of fashion, they started wearing their hair long and added some stylistic innovations such as the "Kentucky Waterfall."

Things could always be worse. You could be one of those phony-tough, mid-life crisis, suburban living, SUV driving, Harley riding, "anyone for tennis," cocktail-quaffing fat bodies with their $20,000 mechanized cesspools gathering at the Rock Store in Latigo Canyon on the weekend to add a few more inches to their already ever-expanding waistlines.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joesantilli
Apart from the obvious safety advantages of wearing leathers, there are numerous less salient reaons:

1. Babes/females/women are attracted to those male figures possessing the most favorable genotype - males who thereby possess the genetic statistical advantage to create progeny most capable of survival.

One such example would be authoritative figures. Uniforms are oftentimes subconsciously interpreted as symbols of authority, strength and virility. For example, how many women have you known that were attracted to cops?

This is reason enough to wear the leathers aside from the fact you may be saving some unfortunate woman from having an unholy union with someone possessing the dubious "character attributes" of a cop.

2. When you wear your gear, nobody (and I mean NOBODY) can kick your a$$.

Besides, who cares what a bunch of rednecks think or say? When long hair was in vogue, they sported crew-cuts. When long hair fell out of fashion, they started wearing their hair long and added some stylistic innovations such as the "Kentucky Waterfall."

Things could always be worse. You could be one of those phony-tough, mid-life crisis, suburban living, SUV driving, Harley riding, "anyone for tennis," cocktail-quaffing fat bodies with their $20,000 mechanized cesspools gathering at the Rock Store in Latigo Canyon on the weekend to add a few more inches to their already ever-expanding waistlines.
What he said
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joesantilli

Besides, who cares what a bunch of rednecks think or say? When long hair was in vogue, they sported crew-cuts. When long hair fell out of fashion, they started wearing their hair long and added some stylistic innovations such as the "Kentucky Waterfall.".....
Is that anything like a "mullet"? Seriously, glad Ken is OK.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thought I'd post a picture of the bike. I saw it this afternoon and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought, but it still would be considered totaled. The frame is punctured in several places, along with all the plastic damage. Like I said before, the great thing is he walked away with minimal bumps and bruises. I think one of the worst feelings is crashing your bike, and on top of that having serious injuries.

Roundel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode