Street Legal, FINALLY!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
elo

Cool Street Legal, FINALLY!!!

As some of you know my husband bought an RS250 Challenge back in October. Since we live in Arizona making a two stroke street legal is possible. It's taken us this long, but it finally happened. Here it is:

Bodywork is by Multi Tech, paint design and tape by me, painted by a friend.

Last edited by elo; 05-28-2002 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Founder

It's about damn time!

Tell Brian I said congrats.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:01 PM

Damn fine looking bike!!! Congrats on all the hard work!
With all the street legal work, I assume this isn't a track bike??

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:23 PM

What all was required other than lights??

Congrats
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM

I saw one at Sears during the AMA superbike that had indicators, lights and a Calif. plate. My girl dug it and wants one now. She does have good taste, though she is with me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 01:48 AM

Talking SWEET

Looks great. Do you need indicators. The head lights look better than the standard ones as do the pipes... bet they breath better and sound better

Its road legal but you race it too dont you?

Is that a 1998 model?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Looks great!

Do you have one of those gravel yards?? We had a gravel yard in Key West, and it drove me nuts.

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
elo

Talking The Answers...

1) yes, it's a 1998. It had 450 miles on it when we bought it, now has 750.

2) Indicators aren't actually required on motorcycles in Arizona, but if you don't have them then you HAVE to use arm signals. To dot our "I's" and cross our "T's" we put indicators on the back but not the front.

3) Aside from the headlights we needed brake lights, license plate illumination, horn, at least one mirror, indicators, and since they smog check bikes in this state we took it in to the dealer to get the carbs synched.

4) We saved all the original bodywork (didn't want to put holes in that beautiful stuff) so it now has race bodywork as well as street bodywork. Track bike? Hell YES! Laguna Seca on July 14th baby!!!

5) RobG, are you sure it was a 250 two stroke? California absolutely does not allow street legal two strokes. Maybe it was licensed somewhere else?

6) Billy, yeah the bike screams. The techs at the Aprilia shop said that out of all the RS250's they work on there, ours "goes like a raped ape." (direct quote). The headlights are actually from a KTM Duke and the mounts are PVC pipe. Buying the original headlight assembly was way too expensive so this was a cool, cheaper alternative.

7) JL, we have rock in our yard because it's a huge pain in the ass to keep grass alive in 115 degrees. I love it also because it's so low maintenance. Every month go out with weed killer for 20 minutes and it's done! We do have a bit of grass in the back yard but if it were up to me we'd get rid of that too.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Brian also says thanks and see ya on the road!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 02:23 PM

Quote:
RobG, are you sure it was a 250 two stroke? California absolutely does not allow street legal two strokes. Maybe it was licensed somewhere else?
Definately was. Could have come from another state or maybe the plate from another bike... I hung out around the area hoping to see the owner to no avail. I have seen some older RZ's and a couple old Kawis as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:32 PM

If you don't mind can we know what kinda $ it took to buy it & then get it to the point you have it @ now. Really a beautiful bike. Lately I've been thinking about a 2nd bike & a 2-stroke killer machine like that would be too much fun. Although California has very strict limitations on new 2-stroke bikes you can pick up older models & work them over without any state oversight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode