Bypassing the cagers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Question Bypassing the cagers

As I am from Ireland but ride in Boston I cant get over the fact that bikers here in the good ole USA seem to have stay in line and take their place behind cagers, this is especially frustrating when waiting in lines for the tollbooths. In Europe it is perfectly normal to bypass all 4 wheel vechicles in normal traffic congestion and the cops dont mind. What happens if you try it here? Will I get run down by a crazed cager or chased down by a cop (Thats if he`s not too busy eating a donut). Any feedback from you folks out there would be appreciated. Daithi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:05 PM

lane splitting is legal and a regular practice in California. I think its not allowed in some states though..
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:26 PM

Thumbs down I'd say no

daithi -

I was coureous about that myself so I checked the website
http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/dmanual/chapter4.pdf

In the driving rules there's a special section for motorcycles and it reads "do not ride along pavement lines, between lanes of traffic"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 10:48 PM

Check the laws in MA for lane splitting. Even here in CA where it's legal, the reaction from cagers is mixed. I've "sensed" resentment at times when I split lanes to get to the front of the line at a traffic signal. I think that might turn to hostility at a toll booth. Other times, cagers will move over to make the space on the line wider. Occasionally, a cager will move over toward the line in an attempt to prevent a bike from "getting ahead".

I believe most cagers in the US view bikes as either a curiosity or a nuisance as opposed to an equal, alternative form of vehicle that should be shown some courtesy (sp?) because of the "hardship" or whatever of riding one. My sense is that bikes are much more accepted in the UK/Europe since they are more just another form of transportation. True?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 05:02 AM

In florida its illegal. One of the motor vehicle statutes states its illegal to pass another vehicle in the same lane of travel.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:41 AM

I've read something in the lastest edition of my favourite mag today. A stationary car is considered to be an object.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 01:32 PM

Local Yokels

Will run you down like a rabid dog to issue you a summons provided you let them. I took the shoulder yesterday to go around a 3 miles traffic jam and there were two cops locked in.

Most people eating spam get pissed if the next guy has steak.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 05:47 PM

wut thu hails rawng wit spam?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Smile USA Bike Riding V Europe

Hi Guys, Some interesting comments and obviously big regional differences regarding the rules on lane splitting amongst other things. This seems silly at best, eithir its illegal and/or stupid to lane split or its not. At the very least there should be uniformity with these laws as they would then be liable to take them more seriously. In Europe Bikers are nearly always taken more seriously and they are respected as a genuine alternative form of transporty. Although the French generally get a bad rap here, I have always found it to be amongst the most bike friendly in all of Europe. It has to be experienced to be believed. Almost nobody has a problem with bikers passing the cagers, it is regarded as plain old common sense in heavy traffic situations. Also cagers will just about always get out of the way of a bike on the fast lane and most everybody uses their turn signals. Over here they are optional extras. I could go on and on but then you would all fall asleep at the keyboard! I cant allow that..... Ride safe Daithi.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: USA Bike Riding V Europe

Quote:
Originally posted by daithi
Also cagers will just about always get out of the way of a bike on the fast lane and most everybody uses their turn signals. Over here they are optional extras.

The level of driving incompetence shown by 90% of Americans is a national disgrace that I feel I must offer my most heartfelt apology for. Turn signals are optional but worse is a complete disregard for the other drivers on the road. Every one seems to get in a zone where to let anyone else ahead is gonna make them an hour late to their destination and an intentional disrespect that requires vengence. The left lane is for falling asleep and allowing oneself to completely ignore the world around them. OHHHHHHH I could go on but you get the point. I'm sorry for the crappy drivers in this wonderful country. Hope you enjoy the many good things here.

PS, I'm in CA (for a 16 mo school assignment) where lane splitting is allowed and am simply going to ****ing die when I move back where it's not allowed. I'm going to have to try and get it legislated where ever I end up. Going to the front at red lights is like a little orgasm every time. I actually look forward to mid-day traffic just for the fun of lane splitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode