Ow! dirt and trees hurt!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Ow! dirt and trees hurt!!

Lowsided the bike today out in the backwoods of southern maryland. Was a nicely paved road, and there was a fairly tight left hander. Mid turn I hit some sand on the road and slid out. I hopped off the bike and rolled into the woods.

...the bike didn't fare so well. I didn't see any of it, but by the damage, the front wheel must have cought a tree, and swung the bike around so the assend was in the direction of travel and the wheels were facing the road (it was on it's left side)

I made it home... and surveyed the damage.

Bent the forks back and smashed the radiator, lost alot of fluid.

put a kink in #2 pipe.

lost the left front blinker.

snapped the left upper headlight mount... it snapped the connection point off the upper, not the headlight. (should be able to fix)

lost the coolant resevoir cap

dirtied up the whole thing.

Now onto the damage done to me....

well.... as of wring this my right lower leg hurts like a biyatch, no cuts or scraping, just one hell of a bruise (i think)
My ego took one hell of a blow... first time I've experienced a crash into the woods..... think I prefer pavement. Pavment you smack then slide.... this wooded area was *smack smack smack smack smack* *stand up*

Nothing like seeing your bike entangled in trees to ruin your weekend.

By the way..... I'm looking for a set of forks and a radiator for a 2000-2002 ZX6R. If anyone has a set for a good deal, please have pity on me and sell em to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 03:40 PM

Bummer. If you have full coverage, claim it. I have no doubt they will total it out- you can then get a new bike or buy back the 6R as salvage and rebuild.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

No full coverage, had to transfer insurance to MD cause I was gonna be here more than half the year this year, and they wanted double what I was paying for FL, so I dropped comprehensive to keep the cost down

I'll have her back together in a couple weeks, hopefully.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

And I just took a second look.... the radiator is trash. The forks can be straightened, less than 10 degrees of bend. gonna have to plastic weld my headlight assembly, and a few spots on the left fairing. The inner fairing snapped in two, and will need to be replaced, no biggie... $40

I rode it back home the 20 miles, so the tranny and wheels are good.

The #2 pipe isn't very bad, small ding, it is good.

there's a small indentation in the tank

the upper fairing survived with only light scratches, most didn't even eat thru the base coat of the paint. Just that broken mounting tab for the headlight... will be plastic welding.

But damnit.... right before a couple big weekends I get taken out by something crappy like this.

good news.... no broken bones. My right ride of my right leg's calf is bruised really bad... enough to give me a limp. The bottom of my left calf is slightly bruised. Props to the sweat shop workers for Joe rocket... my right shoulder would have been messed up pretty bad if it weren't for the blaster jacket I was wearing. The jacket held up, no tears, and no injurty to my upper body. My gloves held up well too, with only light shredding of the kevlar/carbon fiber weaves over the knuckles.

I will heal... but my bike is in major pain. I'm suprised I made it home.... I lost just about all my coolant.

Right now I'm estimating a grand worth of parts and repairs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:29 PM

glad to hear your ok.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:53 PM

Bummer to hear about your crash. I was hoping to meet and see you and your bike next week. You could drive you other vehicle to Ephrata if you really want to! Heal up and get the repairs done to the bike so you can get back out there soon.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by limegreen6R
Right now I'm estimating a grand worth of parts and repairs.
Probably saved that much on insurance when you dropped comprehensive.

Coulda' been worse, but at least you get to spend more quality time with the kaw

At least you fared well. Like they say, any landing you can walk away from...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

actually, I saved more.... not to mention how much I save not having rates go up....

I may have to drive up to ephrata.... at least to get some pics.

I took a 3rd, detailed look, and it's about $900 of parts, and a few hours of my time.

Might get new tires while I have it apart again. Stickier is better.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:01 PM

that sucked Green!
Well atleast your ok!
Was anyone w/ u? How did you get it out of the woods>?
Sand and Gravel suck
Glad to hear you are ok
good luck an the repairs and see ya on road soon Bro
Nick
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 08:09 PM

Glad you are ok ! At least your bike didn't get damaged too bad, you can fix that thing as good as new again. How much were you leaned over in that turn? How fast were you going?
Get your bike all fixed up so you can go riding again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode