First Bike SV650 or ZR-7S???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Talking First Bike SV650 or ZR-7S????

Hi all,

I am new to this form. And I am in the market for my firsrt street bike. I am stuck between the SV650 (not SV650s) or the ZR-7s. The main purpose for the use of the biek is to commute. I am 5'8'' tall and weigh 155#'s any feed back would be great on inline 4 VS. V-Twin.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by cigar76; 05-24-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 10:26 AM

Either would fulfill the requirements of a commuter. The ZR7 has more room for add-on bags if you decide to take a weekend trip, as well as probably having better passenger accomodations. There is a wider range of aftermarket accessories to improve the performance of the SV, and the SV is probably a good bit lighter, which makes . I personally prefer 4s, but there is nothing wrong with modern twins. I'd say check insurance, and get the one which fits you best.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:40 AM

Don't know much about the ZR-7S except what is on Kawasaki's web site. From what I can tell:

+'s for sv650 include about 90 lbs lighter, water cooled, 6 speed, lots of aftermarket parts/accessories, lots of them in the SF Bay area, V-twin much easier to keep in power band, insurance probably cheaper due to smaller displacement, fun quotient

+'s for ZR-7S include standard fairing (you'd probably want to add an aftermarket one to a naked SV, several choices), luggage (as mentioned already)

The biggest drawback to the SV has been the soft front suspension especially for heavier riders. You will likely be OK until your riding becomes aggressive. The stock suspension is quite comfortable on the freeway.

Spend enough time at least sitting on each if you can't get test rides.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:28 PM

I'd take the i4 750 for commuting IMO.

Like both bikes but the zr7 will make a more powerful and stable highway/city bike.

I love the sv too but think it's pretty weak in stock form...................

Good luck and in reality they'd both be fine so get which ever one comes with a better deal or turns you on more.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:02 PM

like the SV as a beginner bike

My .02;

I ride a 96 CBR600F3, but my girlfriend just bought a 2001 SV605s and so I have ridden the SV more than a few times and I have to tell you...this bike kicks some ass. I love the torque of the V-twin engine and it has plenty of power for almost every type of riding. Hell, it is a very popular race bike for a reason. You can get aftermarket mods for it just about anywhere and with a new exhaust - the things sounds downright mean. It doesn't have quite the getup that the Ninja will have, but is much more rideable in most situations, especially for a beginner. Also, insurance on the SV will be significantly lower than the Ninja (that little "R" in the bike's name adds quite a bit of dough to your premium, and being a beginner it will hurt you even more).

I say the SV will make a smarter choice, and you would be plenty happy with it, but in the end you just have to go with the bike you feel the most confident with. Sit on them a lot, as the other post says, and get a feel for what you like. Make sure to get insurance quotes on both bikes before you buy too. Good luck and ride safe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:04 PM

forgot to add this post

Check out this SV site to get more info on the bike SV Rider
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:02 AM

Sorry Nevada but the alphabet soup bikes have struck again (ZR7 is nothing like a ZX7R). The ZR7 is NOT a ninja or a sportbike and is unlikely to be significantly more expensive to insure.

ZR7 has a wider rear seat and better rear 1/4's for tail and saddle bags.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:16 AM

My mistake

Sorry about the goof up there....In that case I withdraw my comment on the insurance difference. You should still go check the rates before you purchase, though. (Also, I still like the SV )
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 07:50 AM

SV fork fix

ive found the fix on the SV is cheap and easy there is a good artical on how to do it in SVrider.com. im going to be doing it next week end i only wiegh 130 but i want a pertty stiff supension so im adding in some pvc spaicers to compress the spring. ill leave a thred on how it works out
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:19 AM

Cigar76,

I personally have a ZR-7 (the naked one) and it suits me perfectly. I've put just over 14,000 miles on it since buying it July 1st. It's a great commuter. It can also embarrass the hell out of a lot of squids on liter bikes in the twisties if ridden by a good rider (that's really fun!). On the other hand, it's got a 5.8 gallon tank and weighs about 520 lbs full of fuel. The SV weighs about 90-100 lbs less. It's probably a whole lot more fun in the twisties as well. If I could... I would have both.

Here's a link to our ZR-7 website:
http://www.zr-7forums.com/

(not sure if that will come up as a link but I think you can figure out how to get there). Lots of great folks there. Yeah, we're biased, but you'll also get honest answers to the pro/cons.

Good luck. You'll love either one.

Emrah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode