Right turns?!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Right turns?!!!

Does anyone know why it is more difficult to make right hand turns than to make left hand turns?

Is the opposite true for left handed people?

I've heard that this phenomenon is 'physiological' and that is why NASCAR and other oval races are counter-clockwise (all left turns).

I noticed when I took my MSF course that newbies picked up left turns more easily than rights. I can dive into a left turn much deeper than I can into right turns.

Anyone know the answer to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 03:16 PM

Left hand turns usually allow for more visibility throughout the turn. Turning right on a narrow, 2 lane road can be spooky at times; knowing if you run it in a little hot and cross the center line, there could be a cage coming straight at you. Where as left handers, if you go a little hot, you may run off the road a bit but not encounter any cars.

Personally, I"d say I'm pretty even when it comes to turning in either directions. I do, however, like to ride the clover leafs every now and again.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 03:46 PM

Probably has something to do with being right-handed/left-handed, or mebbe on which eye is dominant, etc? I remember reading that Jim Allen (Dunlop) could look at wear patterns on a tire and tell if the rider was right or left-handed.
Left-handers feel more natural to me, but I often use cloverleafs (all 4) to practice right-handers.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 04:47 PM

Re: Right turns?!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OBSSV
Does anyone know why it is more difficult to make right hand turns than to make left hand turns?
For me there's a lot more to it than just turn direction. On certain right-handers I can toss the bike in with TRO (Total Reckless O-bandon), same with some lefts. On other turns, I just tiptoe around and make the best of a bad situation.
  • I like runoff, hate guardrails, solid rock walls, and redwood trees right at the edge of the pavement.
  • I like long sightlines, hate short ones. If I can't see several seconds ahead, I'm worthless.
  • I don't like oncoming traffic, find it very distracting when trying to go fast.
  • I prefer uphill to downhill.
I find that I'm very comfortable on both rights and lefts on one particular stretch of road I ride often. It's uphill, the terrain slopes downward from left to right (so the road is "open" to the right), the hill on the left is cut back so sightlines are good even on the lefts, and the righthanders have wide turnouts.

On another stretch (or parts of it anyway), I'm not very fast on either lefts or rights. The road is flat but narrow, and the terrain slopes sharply down from right to left. A massive wall of rock on the right severely limits sightlines to the right. Just as bad, on lefthanders a turn-in point in the righthand half of the lane brings one perilously close the the same wall of rock, a distraction I overcome only with difficulty.

Try to think about these other aspects of turns, too. You might find that your perceived limits are more complex. If so, you can then work more effectively to overcome them.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:23 PM

I have trouble in right handers, and so do alot of guys I ride with.
We ride to the left lane in Oz.
I find that my initial turn in on right handers tends to be more timid than when I make a left. I guess its kinda like doing a powerslide on a push bike, you tend to prefer one side.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:27 PM

Very interesting, Professor. I am left handed, but can dip really low (at least it feels low to me) on right turns. Deep leans to the left always feel off and I usually need to correct them.

Last edited by Honda919Rider; 05-21-2002 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:50 PM

My observation...

...is that on right handers you are pushing with your right hand, which is also on the throttle, adding another factor to what is going on. I picked this up on the track, where I realized that trying to get my ass off the bike in a right hander was not as comfortable, primarily because having my arm bent while trying to work the throttle was a bit more complicated than when turning left, with my right arm extended on the throttle.

Maybe I'm right, maybe it's just me....

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Right hand being on the throttle is DEFINITELY why I have trouble with throttle control in the rights; I tend to roll on less smoothly.

Leaning her over still feels awkward though. Seems like quick changes in lean angle to the left feel less severe while smaller changes (acceleration?) to the right excites my oh sh!t gland!!!

I can see my weakness in my rear tire chickenstripes too; left side is about 1/4" while the right is at least 3/4". What a wuss!!!
(Be lenient, I've only been riding since last July with only 2500 miles on my bike.)

Any doctors or biologists out their that know anything about how your ears affect balance? Maybe something in there affects it. That 'eye dominance' concept has promise to.

Thanks for all the great feedback!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OBSSV
Any doctors or biologists out their that know anything about how your ears affect balance? Maybe something in there affects it.
Laymans explanation (because I can't remember the technical terms):

Your inner ear contains fluid filled sacks that give you your sensation of balance. The movement and "spinning" of this fluid combined with gravity will give you the feeling of which way is up or down. When it gets knocked out of whack due to inputs that it registers improperly it will give you a false sensation. This is what can lead to vertigo. I have experienced vertigo before, and cannot concieve of any motorcycle maneuvers that would cause it. Unless you are doing some kind of funky, standing on your head, starboyz imitation, you should be fine.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 07:44 PM
jrm

In Twist of the Wrist book by Keith Code, he suggests that you turn better in the direction you are most flexible in. Hard to believe we are all looser to the left, however. I believe he also mentions the right hand throttle factor and, when your right arm is extended/pushing/tense, you are bound to have a less smooth throttle action. Abrubtness would sap confidence and bring on what he calls "survival reactions", one of which is slowing down/being more conservative. Therefore, we all turn to the left better.

How's that?

Keith should at least give me an "A" for paying attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode