Tire Wear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Tire Wear

How many miles do race/performance tires last and how can one tell by inspection, when to change them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: Tire Wear

Quote:
Originally posted by AlwaysNewbie
How many miles do race/performance tires last and how can one tell by inspection, when to change them?
Depends on your riding style. If you're hitting many miles of twisties, you should notice some even tread wear. Everyday commuting compounded with weekend twisties ( as myself) you may notice the center wearing a little more.

Also, doing a sh*tload of wheelies also tends to wear down the center a bit more than normal.

Grap yo'self a tire depth gauge and check it out. Take a gander at your manual to see what the minimum tread depth should be...if you're already at the point watch it carefully. A guy I've ridden with here in KC had a "questionable " tire during a trip. Probably snuck up on him. Be careful.

http://www.kcplazasportbikes.com/pho...e/dsc00187.htm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 08:58 PM

There are wear guides built into many tires. Look for a raised area inside a rain groove/tread pattern. When the tire wears down to the point that this is even with the area outside of the groove it's time to CONSIDER replacement.

If the tire is worn only at the sides you can still use it with minimal lean in the rain.

If it's worn in the midle then replace it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 02:19 AM

If the tire has tread wear indicators, there should be a mark on the sidewall of the tire, a little arrow or dot or something, to show where it is. When the rubber of the tread is worn down even with the wear indicator bar, it's definitely time to replace.

I replace mine when they get to the point that they don't get as sticky as they should when hot...when it starts trying to spin up or slide easier than it should. Usually mine still look like they have a lot of tread left in the center, but the sides are visibly worn. They usually are tearing or balling a little and the tread voids chunk a little. That's normal. The tearing usually occurs when the weather and road are cold. The balling is normal and necessary...that's just the worn layers of rubber tearing away to expose fresh, sticky rubber and where the edges of the tread voids tear away a little is going to happen when you have tread voids going all the way to the edge of the tire and usually shows up right at the edge of the tire. The wider the void, the more likely it is to occur. It's a trade-off for being able to corner in the wet. The GSXR1000 is pretty hard on tires, though. Soft compound tires are only good for so many heat cycles, plus the outgassing with age makes the rubber harder providing less traction.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 07:19 AM

I have been told (though I've yet to experience it) that there may be no real visual que to race tires going "hard". They just lose their grip and need to be changed... even though they might still "look" fine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
When the tire wears down to the point that this is even with the area outside of the groove it's time to CONSIDER replacement.
This is probably true of most tires, until recently I had only ridden Dunlops. But if you ride Dunlop D207's when the rear gets to the wear mark, you have about 100 miles until cord starts showing. The Bridgestones I ride now seem to go a lot farther.
The 207 fronts seem to lose their profile and start falling in well before the tire reaches the wear marks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 01:19 PM

Joss,
With race compound tires, you can use the "Smokey Mountain Knife Test". You just press the back side of a pocket knife (NOT the sharp edge or point) or a key into the tread and it should hold a sharp impression for 3 or 4 seconds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:31 AM

Thanks for the tip, GaBandit.

Makes sense.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12
Joss,
With race compound tires, you can use the "Smokey Mountain Knife Test". You just press the back side of a pocket knife (NOT the sharp edge or point) or a key into the tread and it should hold a sharp impression for 3 or 4 seconds.
Should this be done on warm or cold tires???

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:44 PM

Impression test cold tires. They should be somewhat sticky to the touch when hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode