RPM question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

RPM question

(sorry if its a stupid question but,) i have a cbr 600 f4 (first sport bike) so i was just wonderin were i should be at on the rpm when riding. I try not to get it to close to red line (13.5 k), but it's a rocket when i get the rpm's up there(luv it). How bad is it for a high performance engine like that to be brought around 10 or 11 k. I usually criuse at about 6k. Would it be smart to cruise at lower rpm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Today's modern sportbike engines are very durable. They are designed to be able to hit extremely high RPM's. While it is very bad for your engine to run it at the red line all the time, its fine to explore that RPM range every now and then.

As far a cruising, you want your RPM's as low as possible. It puts the least wear and tear on your engine and also burns the least amount of fuel. (Although a 600 CBR should be able to run forever at 6K RPM's)

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 05:42 PM

I normally cruise around at about 6,000 on my ZX-7. It keeps me in the powerband and yet rides comfortably.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 05:57 PM

They should be low enough not to wear too much, but high enough that you can nail it to get around danger without it bogging the engine down too much.

Off the top of my head, I usually cruise at about 6-7k when doing around 45 or so.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 06:22 PM

Heh.

Why I like my bike: @ a lazy 4000 RPM, warp speed is just a yank of the throttle away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 06:25 PM

I want the torque of a V-Twin

I guess I'll just keep constantly shifting
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 06:08 AM

Ahhh, the joy of a big bike! I never cruise below 3k, generally around 3600, or above 4k if I feel I may need to move very quickly. 6k puts me into the tire-spinning, wheelie mode.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 10:16 PM

A good way to figure that out is to ride with high decibel blocking ear plugs so you cannot be real bothered by what the engine sounds like.

Ride. Commute, ride long, etc. Watch the tach. Gotta watch the speedo, but mainly look at the rpm.

FEEL the bike, and you will feel where the bike has power as you shift from gear to gear while going thru turns or accelerating or slowing. I bet you find that spot if you do this.

We are sensory creatures, but we can have the senses flooded while riding a motorcycle, so it is sometimes best to attenuate at least some of those senses in order to feel what is going on with the bike.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 07:49 PM
jrm

My F3 cruises nicely between 6-8k rpms. I break it down like this--

Flat, not windy 6k

Traffic on I-5 I want to notice me 7-8k

I have found that I can cruise over the pass to central WA and get better mileage at 7-8k than at 4-6k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode