3rd Gear, 9500 RPM 130Mph - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Question 3rd Gear, 9500 RPM 130Mph

I HAD MY 1993 HONDA CBR900RR UP TO 130 IN 3RD GEAR AT 9500RPM THE OTHER DAY AND BACKED DOWN DUE TO COMING INTO TRAFFIC. I HAVE READ FROM MY OTHER POST THAT THIS BIKE HAS DYNO RESULTS OF 165 AND 170 TOP SPEED. MY QUESTION IS WITH STILL ROOM TO GO IN THIRD GEAR AND THREE MORE GEARS TO DO WOULD IT NOT DO A LOT MORE THAN 165 OR 170? I AM NEW TO SPORT BIKES, THIS BEING MY FIRST ONE AND I WANT TO KNOE FROM YOU GUYS. MY BIKE IS STOCK EVERYTHING, FROM THE FRONT TO BACK. STOCK EXAUST, WHEELS, AIR FILTER, AND EVERYTHING. GET BACK TO ME AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 08:34 AM

A) please turn off you're CAPS LOCK.

B) Don't believe everything you read. Some mags actually say there are better bikes out there than Honda.

C) Speedometers are notoriously inaccurate and almost always optimistic.

D) I don't know the to speed for a CBR900, but top speed is only for bragging purposes. BTW... mine IS faster than yours.

E) Welcome to the site.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 08:41 AM

Don't forget that in stock trim your bike probably won't pull redline in top gear.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Being new to sportbikes and starting off with a 900rr (Bad idea I think) The first thing I would buy is a good set of FULL LEATHERS!!!! If you have never ridden a bike before, take things slow, you don't need to be the fastest thing on the road. Take your time and learn rideing techniques. I have leathers for sale on EBAY check them out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 09:42 AM

WIND RESISTANCE ---- why do you think they are using wind tunnels now?

Remember to that the faster one gets the more they are up against WIND RESISTANCE & you will be lucky to reach the red line or so called top speed.
The very reason for the fairings on the bikes was so they could SLICE though the wind & so give better speed & be better on power.
Proof is that the lst fairings were put on by road racers back in their early 60s for that very reason to be able to go faster against the wind in basically all gears.
To us street riders that put on after-market fairings we notice a) more engine noise. b) seemingly faster in speed though no proof till coming upon traffic up ahead we eased off the throttle & had to apply brakes ------- proof that we were slicing through the wind better then on a 'skelton' bike. Cc a somewhat better top end speed. (d under normal riding a gain in fuel milage.
The earlier fairings were much larger & so we also found out that properly made ones gave us a bit more protection from wet roads or the rain.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:12 PM

130 IN THIRD

Yes speedo's are not acurate so on and so on BUT if you have to ask that question, and refer to yourself as a novice,(most of us are novices, only some of us admit it) you should not be doing 130 anywhere in any gear...... MSF MSF MSF MSF.....

Joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:52 PM

Thumbs up 130/3rd gear

Way cool man! Instead of telling you you should not be doing 130. I will congratulate you on being aware of upcoming obstacles and acted accorgindly. Then living to tell about it. If its your first bike I do , however, advise You to "LEARN TO RESPECT THE BIKE", "Only then can you make it respect YOU!"[/B] As far as a "possible" more-than-listed top end. I too had a similar idea about possible more top on my scooter. As the others said the wind, higher gears coupled with a tapering off powerband, and if you had two whoppers instead of steamed Salmon, will effect the top end. Not to mention a tapering powerband with higher gear ratios. I get my top end in 5th gear with only slightly more speed at 11500 in 6th gear. My 6th gear only pushes me to 12500 out 14500 rpms. It simply will not go any further, and is 5mph slower than my 5th gear top end. Then again I could just be Bulls'n.

--A.J.--
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 PM

You're gonna enjoy that RR a lot more when you learn how to TURN it. With a real sport bike like that, lean angles and throttle control, not top speed should be your main concern.

Otherwise, you may be a lot happier with a Yamaha V-Max or a 'Busa.

This is not a criticism, just a suggestion.

Schools are a good idea, no matter what you ride, from MSF to CCS, CLASS, STAR, etc.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode