What do you do when you get cut off?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: How do you react/respond when you are cut off by a cager?
DO NOTHING: Keep your peace and ride on. 17 27.87%
ALERT DRIVER: Point at eyes or head to encourage them to be more AWARE. 33 54.10%
TALK TO THEM: At the next light, directly but calmly speak to them about their driving habits. 0 0%
OBSCENITIES: Verbally cuss at them or use gestures like telling them they're #1. 6 9.84%
THROWING OBJECTS: Toss something at their car (e.g., ball bearing, stones, etc.) 2 3.28%
GO APESH-T: Follow them til they stop TO: threaten them, challenge them to a fight, OR kick or strike their vehicle. 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Question What do you do when you get cut off??

After reading the (CAGER EATS IT THREAD) I'm genuinely curious to see how MOST people react to cut offs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: What do you do when you get cut off??

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
After reading the (CAGER EATS IT THREAD) I'm genuinely curious to see how MOST people react to cut offs...
That kinda depends on whether or not it was intentional. For the most part, I figure if they'd seen me, they wouldn't have cut me off. So, in a case of "no harm, no foul", I don't sweat it.

But one time, riding the freeway on my SV, I'm in the fast lane and this lady in a van comes right over on me as I start to overtake, then swerves quickly back into her lane, so I knew she saw me. Then she comes right over on me again and I have to get on the brakes hard ! It was just like she went, "Whoops, there's a motorcycle.... Ah, f*ck him, I'll change lanes anyway."

I went to the middle lane, passed her, looked back and made a WTF ?!-type hand gesture to her, not the finger but a palm-up gesture. It's a bad idea to flip off cagers or whatever, but I had to let her know I didn't appreciate what she did.

Last edited by old squid; 05-17-2002 at 05:37 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:58 PM

One of the few fringe benefits of riding a Road King and wearing a black & white helmet is that the average cager thinks I'm a cop. It's remarkable how acute cager's eyesight gets when they think you're the law

I also live in a fairly sparcely populated area with fairly limited traffic. For the most part, the "Hank's Horns" (nice loud airhorns) and my appearance keep things civilized.

Ride safe, be smart.

Cheers,
Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 08:03 PM

I don't think there is a whole lot to do, I wish a good solution existed, I try to alert them to the mistake if it seemed like an accidental thing and tell them that being impatient is not worth it,

I would like to know a reasonable way to deal with the seemingly growing number of people that will mess around and be jerks, I wish the cops weren't so worthless, because I would think that they would be the ones that would be responsible for finding these people and taking away driving privileges. Several years ago the state police in my area spent many thousands of dollars on an unmarked silver astrovan that was equipped with all sorts of cameras and recording gadgetry. I read a story in the ny times about it and they said they were going to use it to catch aggresive drivers in the act. I was driving about 1K miles a week and more at that time, all on the highway, and I saw the van twice, at the end of the month on an overpass that overlooked a downhill stretch of highway w/a pig aiming his laser at anyone who looked like they were going fast.

And when the people show up to keep points off, the officer says that it is no problem, he'll be a nice guy and reduce the violation to non points as long as you'll pay the amount of the original. After all, if people wouldn't speed then no $$$.

The police don't care unless someone gets hurt or there is property damage, or if they need to fill there pockets.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 08:54 PM

Pack mentality/road rage

Getting cut off...

Coming back from the race track with four friends we were all lined up at a stop sign waiting to turn left (we drive in the left lane here so reverse everything). There was two lanes and across the road a cager also going to turn... He should have turned into the lane closest to him but he cut across his lane into the lane we were pulling into. Anyway the first bike out had to take evassive action, needless to say it was five verses one and the cager was "encouraged" to be more aware for about 5 minutes until he ran a red light to get away.

Encouragement ranged from kicking a door to get his attention followed by various hand signal and alot of shouting and crowding.

I'd never do some of the things these guys did but it wasn't serious. I dont think the cager learnt anything by it. It was completely unjustified but we all had a laugh about it afterwards.

Most of the time I just stare at a cager. The one time I said anything was to a truckie and he poured coffee on me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Founder

ALERT DRIVER: Point at eyes or head to encourage them to be more AWARE

Cars will always win in a bike/car fight.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 09:52 AM

The more yrs you ride the less likely one will get into any rage.

I will try to give the driver a dirty look, but through a full face visor there is not much they will see & even less when I am wearing a dark smoked visor.
If they have seen their error I simply shake my head from side to side indicating that it was a close one & THEIR fault. All I do is go back to my personal experience at that very time & wonder if in ANY way I was even 10% wrong compared to the driver being 100% & sometimes I might realize I was a fraction to close or not concentrating 100% on all the traffic around me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 09:56 AM

I usually give them a WTF gesture when someone pulls out in front of me. Then once I get somewhere I can pass em I give em one of these as I go by. I almost got run over with a chick on the pillion one time. I was passing a couple cars on a dotted line in a long straightaway and this asshole decided he wants to pass at the same time that I was overtaking (couple of 16 year old punk kids). Closest I've ever come to dragging someone out of their car and beating them to within an inch of their life. But after a few choice words and gestures I cooled down and realized it was probably about 50% my fault too. Still pissed me off though, PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE!!! Do you really think a group of sportbikes is not going to pass two cars going 10 under the speedlimit in a long straightaway?? Cage drivers have their heads buried so far up their asses it's unbelievable. lol
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Cars will always win in a bike/car fight.

now, why couldn't you have told me that BEFORE the ride???

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:37 PM

when they stop at the next light I do a bunny hop onto their hood!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode