748 vs R6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Question 748 vs R6

If you had a choice, which would you have and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:09 PM

gee let see, the duc is a $13000.00 bike

the yamaha is $8000.00!!..the duc cant get out of its own way, (but looks good) the yamaha hauls ass..and looks great too..

the yamaha is cheaper to own, the duc, you'll have to get a live in mechanic..but the duc looks good..

lets see duc or r6...................id get the gsx-r600 itll out perform them both...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:20 PM

you even have to think about it?

it a ducati....need i say more....who cares if its not as fast, it still corners better, looks better and chicks love them, hehehe

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:25 PM

What the hell

If I had a choice I would take a 748R (btw $16000 bike) over the Rsqider(j/k) anyday and twice on Sunday. The vtwin is too Even if everyone does not admit it they want one or at least would be on their "if I won the lotto" list

The R6 if very fast and in a straight line faster than the 748, but with the same rider the duc will be faster in the curvy stuff than the R6
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:28 PM

if your after top speed get a busa......ducatis are not fast in a straight line, granted i can still beat vettes off the line but hey a 250 ninja can probably do that...the ducati handles like its on rails, its definetly worth the money....the duc also weighs more but you dont feel it when you ride because its balances so well, ok that enough from me
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:37 PM

so the duc handles well.hmmmmmm

lets see the duc(748) runs against 600s in supersport racing...i cant remember a well handling duc EVER winning a supersport race..but they do look good..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:56 PM

I had to make this choice and got the R6.

Why??? Because I wanted a track bike and, since I am a novice racer, I knew I'd be needing parts, LOTS of parts. My prior experience with my 900SS taught me that Ducati parts are expensive and many times take time to get. My local YAMAHA dealer has most of the parts I have needed in stock or about 4 days away.

Otherwise, if I just wanted a street bike, I might very well have gotten the 748 due to it's handling. And it's sound. And it's timeless beauty. And it's sound. And it'e re-sale value . And it's sound. Did I mention it's sound?????
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:59 PM

Re: so the duc handles well.hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
lets see the duc(748) runs against 600s in supersport racing...i cant remember a well handling duc EVER winning a supersport race..but they do look good..
Actually the 748 Ducs did win quite a few World Supersport races against the 600s but that hasn't been the case over the last3 seasons. It really isn't a good comparison though since they are aloud to make quite a few more changes than the AMA supersport guys.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the 748 out handles the current 600cc bikes. I've ridden a well sorted "748" that was nearly as easy to flick as the 600s. It required more effort but with time I could have adapted and used its other advantages to overcome its initial reluctance to turn in.

If money were not an issue, I wouldn't mind having a 748 over the current 600s just because I love the twin's torque.

BTW, I would not have a 998 even if I won the lottery. A Mille R yes but not a 998.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:06 PM

Both are awesome bikes

I have a ducati 748 so I can only speak from experience on that particular bike. I think the R6 is a really nice bike, looks great, and is priced right. Yes the ducati is expensive - what's a guy to do. The bike handles like it is on rails. I have had mine to 130 and no front end shake and is as stable as if it was sitting still. I think it is personal preference and the amount of money you are willing to spend. I have also read and heard a lot of good things about the honda 600 F4i. If I had my choice and enough money I would have my 748 and buy and R1.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:26 PM

dude, if you're looking to get on the track and be (reasonably) competitive someday get a 600. So much less $ involved, and less for replacement parts too. 4000 mi. valve adjustments suck . I love Ducati's and all- sexxy timeless lines- but i just can't justify spending that $ when i can have the RC-51 (i have) that will WAX anything in the Italian line-up....and before you say anything i've ridden the Mille's too-and they just do not pull as hard in the midrange. Check out the '02 RC's....125HP STOCK from a twin. So $4-5k LESS- and that much more power then the 90-something Duck? And if you really need your bike to pull women.....dude you don't deserve to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode