Too tall for the bike? W/pic. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Too tall for the bike? W/pic.

I was wondering if the guy here is too big "looking" for the bike. 6'4" @ 190lbs. I've seen this question alot lately, and no pics, so does anyone else have any pics? and opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 AM

that does look a little to small for him, sadly he is my size, but I am 225lbs, and no I'm not fat, just built. everyone keeps telling me to start on a ex500, but I am way to big for that, I sit on it and it feels like a toy, not to mention I can bottom out the shocks on it, I need like a 750-1000, I'm now looking at the katana 600, it has a big enough frame to support me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:43 AM

I'm 6'6 @ 190lbs. and I ride a ZX7 and it seems to small for me. I started off on a ninja 250 back in '92, and worked my way up. I didnt care what other people said about my being to tall for the bike, the fact was I was riding and they wernt. I'm at the time where I'm thinking about the zx12r.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:45 AM

He's too large for the bike, look at his posture, in particular his lower back is too bent over. Over the long haul, on rougher roads, this dude's going to have some bad back problems.

SilentNEKO: I would recommend that you go check out a variety of used middleweights that are more general purpose, rather than sport focused. They are easier to handle, in particular at slower maneuvering speeds. They also have better ergos for a big guy like you. You might consider looking at a Bandit, Katana 750 (the 600 will likely cramp you) one of the myriad of Hondas produced over the last 10 years, or something of that sort. A friend recently picked up a sweet mid-80's KZ-1000 with some nice suspension upgrades, fresh tires and a small bubble fairing, all nicely color-matched for $2500. He's been out of riding for a few years and this was a great choice for returning. I figure he'll ride it for this season, then upgrade to a late 90's sportbike. He'll also likely get every dollar back when he sells it.

Good luck in your search and ride smart.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any pics of tall people on bigger bikes? Is there really a big difference, does it really "stretch" the rider out on the bike more comfortably?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:39 AM

I'm not looking to buy new by any means, all the bikes I'm looking at are from 85-94. I didn't notice a difference in the katana 600 and 750, maybe power but the frame seemed the same. when you say honda which bikes do you mean, like a vfr, or a cbr, ok so the bandit seems nice, but I want a bike with a full fairing, is there any place that makes fairings for naked bikes, and how much do they cost. so far the old kat 600 is my front runner, I can get one in ok shape for 2k, what else ya got?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
You might consider looking at a ... Katana 750 (the 600 will likely cramp you)
But the 600 & 750 are the same size.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:24 AM

hey tammy, thats what I thought, I saw no difference in the 600's and 750's except for the ugly stickers. so you ride a tls1000, how big are you if I may ask, I mean how tall and how much do you weigh, if you want you can include measurements , you don't have to answer, just wondering what it takes to toss around a bigger bike
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:13 PM

Kat 600-750... duh Kev, my mistake.

If you're shopping late 80's, the VFR's are quite nice. Also, not to raise anyone's ire or anything, but a Concours is a really nice machine, fairly competant in the mountains (there's lots around here) excellent ergos, bullet-proof motor, excellent fairing (bags too) and good parts supplies (if ever needed). One nice other aspect is that used, they are a terrific bargain, largely due to the fact that they are owned by mature riders and rarely if ever abused. You should be able to locate a nice example for $2-3K.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:50 PM

I think the Power Ranger outfit makes him look so goofy. I'm 6'4, too, and I've seen pics of me riding my old F3 in jeans and a jacket, and I didn't think I looked that cramped. I can't imagine I look really cramped on my F4i, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode