Security on the road - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Security on the road

Just curious, how much does everyone worry about threir bikes when they stop during a ride (i.e. overnight, or when you park your bike for a day while on the road), and what kind of things do you do to prevent something from happening?

I usually use a disk lock, but I know that it doesn't stop someone who really wants to get your bike, and it doesn't stop vandals. I have been working on a new security system, but I am having problems getting the doberman in my tankbag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:19 AM

I will get a motel room on the ground floor level and bring it in If I really don't trust the area. Open a window though because I woke up with bad taste of gas in my mouth.

If the areas not to bad I just park it on the sidewalk right outside the window and crack the shades enough that I can see it a bit. Probably won't keep anything from happening to it but at least I can check on it without getting out of bed etc.

And yes, disc lock ALWAYS (although my front fender is getting pretty trashed, just can't seem to remember it every time, doh!!!!!!)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 01:22 PM

I always kept my ZX11 in the room with me - never smelled gas, let it cool off before bringing it inside. If that's not an option, I prefer to lock my bike to an immovable object, and cover it with a dirty, duct-taped cover, within view of my room.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 02:12 PM

when ever i go on a long trip, i carry

a couple clips of 40 cal. if staying in a motel..i also get a ground floor room..and i dont sleep a wink.. were surrounded by bandits and thiefs..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 04:11 PM

Re: Security on the road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobas
...I am having problems getting the doberman in my tankbag.
Try a miniature poodle. Those little shits are mean! If anything, they'll yap the poor thief to death.

I haven't taken any long trips that didn't involve a garage at the end of it, but whenever I leave it unattended for more than about 30 seconds, I put a disk lock on it. And three English Mastiffs.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 05:28 PM

We have gone to Ocean City, Maryland for the weekend. We lock the bikes together through the wheels with a cable and padlock.
The place we stay at is an out of the way spot, not much traffic.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:30 AM

Talking

If you have room, a nice log chain around a concrete pilon works well...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 05:40 AM

even for a few hours...

I always use the disk lock, and there is this neato little neon yellow cable that goes from the lock to the brake lever, I'll never try to ride off as long as I use that...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:42 AM

I don't remember where I heard this, but here's a good idea for a cheap alarm system when at a hotel.

Take the Hotel's Glass ashtray, and set it on the rear tire of your bike. Its not very noticable there, and if anyone moves your bike, sits on it, etc... It'll crash to the ground and make a pretty good amount of noise.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:09 AM

Put a cover over the bike. For some reason the phrase, "outta sight, outta mind" applies to thieves. Make sure the cover is non-descript, or says something that would deter thieves.......eg "KAWASAKI"

Or, if you really want to keep them away from your Duc. Stick a copy of your latest Tune Up invoice to the bike, they'd have to be nuts to steal it then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode