Riding in a Group; and seeing Johnny law - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Riding in a Group; and seeing Johnny law

Ok,...what to do.

The other day I was riding with a group ( about 15 - 20 bikes )...we were clicking along on the twisties pretty good (above the posted speed limit but not "racing" ).

One road in particular, the posted speed limit was 45mph, and I was riding through there around 70 - 80 keeping with the group. We passed a cruiser (as in COP, not Cheech and Chong), and he just watched us go by. Didn't do anything.

But there has been other times that I've heard about (but never been a part of yet) where a cop will give chase to a group of riders.

My question is....if you're part of that group do you run if they're running? Split off and meet up later? Or pull over (sorry, had to include this choice).

Fortunately, I haven't been in a group where we've buzzed a cop and he gave chase. Just curious to see what you all would do.

NI !!!!!!!!!!!!11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 04:44 AM

Stop.

In most cases running from them is stupid to the point of being ridiculous. Yeah, you might get away if you are in the backroads with a lot of places to turn off....then again you might not. You could crash trying. They could anticipate your turn and have another one waiting down the road. You bike is much faster than their car, but not quite as fast as their radio. The bottom line is, if you run and they catch you, you charges just went from misdemeanor traffic violations to felonies.

If you are on the Interstate, you don't stand a chance of getting away.

Many times I have seen them just watch people go by running triple digits. One State Trooper in Alabama told me that he usually just wishes them good luck because they are "probably gonna end up needin' it." Many times they don't want to take a chance on crashing you and figure you are not likely to kill anyone but yourself.

Sometimes, however, such as is the case in the North Georgia Mountains right now, they have had so many complaints from locals that they go out in force on the weekends and enforce a "zero tolerance" policy for a while. They have had so many complaints already this year up there that they have orders from the Governor to "do what it takes to get the motorcycles under control." We brought that on ourselves.

There are so many people up there riding like complete retards in populated areas, it's ridiculous. Sometimes I feel sorry for the people that live up there. It's not enough to ride up Blood Mountain International Raceway (Highway 129) at 100+ mph cutting cars off in the corners or down Wolf Pen Gap Grand Prix Raceway (Hiway 180) at triple digits running wide in the corners and crashing all over the place.....they have to ride 120 mph wheelies in front people's houses and through the towns and such.

Now, I'm not against riding wheelies or riding fast...where it's safe and you aren't going to bother anyone. But PUHLEEZ...have a little common sense about it. Those people live there. And they have kids and wives and dogs and cats an they have to get on those roads to go to the store and do their daily business. They don't want some nitwit on a 450 lb 130 mph unguided missile crashing into them or their families. How would you like to have someone riding like that (or a bunch of someones) on the street in front of your house?

The cops aren't being assholes when they enforce the laws in most cases. They are simply trying to make the roads equally useable and the neighborhoods safe for everyone. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:08 AM

Happened to me

I slowed down... its so much easier to talk your way out of it if they pull you over. The 250 factor has a lot to do with it though...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:19 AM

Pull over and offer donuts.

You play you pay.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:40 AM

Pull over. It's a bummer sitting there waiting on a ticket but you get to go home afterwards. If others take off you can hope the officer sees you as a good guy & either lets you off completely with a warning or writes the ticket for a minor offense/reduced speed. I've had 140 MPH+ written as 75 in a 65 just because I pulled over & had license, registration & proof of Ins. ready for him. (It's automatic they will want to see those things). I gave no excuses except to say "new bike, open road, early in the morning with no traffic". Still got a ticket but the CHP treated me so very cool.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: Riding in a Group; and seeing Johnny law

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight of Ni
Ok,...what to do.

The other day I was riding with a group ( about 15 - 20 bikes )...we were clicking along on the twisties pretty good (above the posted speed limit but not "racing" ).

One road in particular, the posted speed limit was 45mph, and I was riding through there around 70 - 80 keeping with the group. We passed a cruiser (as in COP, not Cheech and Chong), and he just watched us go by. Didn't do anything.

But there has been other times that I've heard about (but never been a part of yet) where a cop will give chase to a group of riders.

My question is....if you're part of that group do you run if they're running? Split off and meet up later? Or pull over (sorry, had to include this choice).

Fortunately, I haven't been in a group where we've buzzed a cop and he gave chase. Just curious to see what you all would do.

NI !!!!!!!!!!!!11
Believe it or not, I learned this from my father.

Once the red lights go on and you are SURE he/she means buisness, have a pre-designated member of your group pull over. What is the cop gonna do??? Let all of the rest of you go on? Probably. Or he'll tell you to wait while he gets the rest. (unlikely) Or he may just ingore the one who pulls over so he can get the rest. (unlikely too)

If the cop wants your buddies names and addresses, you just say "who, those guys??? (insert what ever your conscience will allow)" Either way, you look like a hero to the cop and your buddies.

Unless you rat them out in exchange for a warning
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 08:11 AM

Here's my story from a couple of weeks ago....

We were riding in a small group on a 4 lane state highway problably above 100mph(out here in flat, straight dessert) Everyone was lying down on the tank and not looking in the mirror. Anyway, we must have past a cop at somepoint because when I sat up and looked back, there were 4 cops back there with lights on. A couple of us stopped, some kept going.

The cop was pretty cool with me and asked why we trying to run. I told we were being stupid and not checking 6 but when I noticed him I stopped. He believed me, and then told me he wasn't stopping us to ticket us, just to slow us down. So after a little chat with the cop he let us go.

Sure the others that ran did get away, but they took some terrible chances with that choice. I'm sure you've seen Wildest Police Chases and the wrecks that can happen.

If you're willing to break the law, be willing to stop and take the puishment. There's NO reason to risk lives to avoid a ticket.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 09:29 AM

lol... rat them out good tactic and offering donuts hehe and maybe a $20 note to wipe their hands on after... just dont try it in front of the work experience kid they have with them
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Smile My $.02

My thought is this. If you have the experience, cojones, and skills to get away, then do it, BUT, you take the risk and you pay the price. Me, I am not that good in the twisties, staight aways are my thing. If I see bacon behind me, I pull over. No questions asked. Luckily, knock on wood, I have not been pulled over on my VFR. In my cage I have twice.

I have "ran" once, if you wanna call it that. A club I hang with was doing some drag races. Had about 300 bikes and 40 cages on a back country road. We basically shut it down. The road was hardly used. I was at the "finish line" with the video camera. I noticed a CHP car coming down the road behind the starting line. We called the club prez on the radio. About 40 bikes made it out, me included, the rest got stopped for 3 hours, then let go.

If you wanna run, run. You risk the chance of becoming a hood ornament. If I get stopped and cops want name, just remember all the names of the people that picked on you in school, give them their names, makes it more fun.

Ride safe!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 04:17 AM

How about an opinion from "Johnny Law"

Since I am a fellow rider, I don't really mess with the riders. I know its hard to not speed. Lets face it, its a damn sportbike. Just pushing first gear will get you well above the limit. Usually I'll just wave and be on my way. If I see some guys in a parking lot, I'll go over to check out there bikes and B.S. for awhile.
When it comes to running or stopping, just stop. Its not worth the risk. Most guys I know will issue warnings, but their are guys that will ticket anything that moves. My friends and I have been pulled over twice already, both times due to the same individual because he is a moron. I have saved his ass twice from getting cited. I told him the next time he does something stupid, I don't know him. I think thats fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode