How many here have motorcycle injuries - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

How many here have motorcycle injuries

Just curious, anyone here sustained injuries from crashes (and lays) and if so, were you wearing proper gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:36 AM

I got some road rash from my first crash, in addition to a broken shoulder, hip, 2 ribs, concussion and broken collarbone. That was 30 years ago and I wasn't wearing all the proper gear. It was the result of a collision with a cage. I had a helmet on (thank God) which was shattered at the point where my head contacted the pavement. I did not have leathers or a jacket of any kind or gloves or boots. That was the last time I rode like that. The road rash may have been the most painful part of the whole thing.

Since then, I have broken my ankle 3 times, my shoulder twice more, fingers, more ribs, dislocated my shoulder twice and my collarbone once more.

These are mostly race related crashes...only one other one on the street.

I feel it now, whenever the weather starts to change all these old injuries come back to remind me.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
nothing long lasting. i have some scars from crashing in jeans, but not too bad. my crash in full leathers resulted in NO injuries at all (except for a sore thigh and right hand).

i actually crashed in leather the weekend before college finals week (always working hard) and still took all my finals and could write well enough to pass.

given the choice, leathers are the only way to crash.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:45 AM

I currently have a broken left pinky finger and small amount of roadrash on my right elbow from a race track get-off. It is my only crash and of course I had full racing getup on.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 07:18 AM

Fom competing in dirt comp & road racing ----

----- YES, but from riding on the paved roads & hwys for 55 plus yrs--- NONE.
Could be because in comp I was riding 110% or even harder, but on the paved roads & hwys I ride with around 50% of my ability & ride with this is mind---- "All the others on the roads are crazy & out to kill me ---- while I am the only sane person on the road". This was a tip I picked up back in 1948 from an old time rider.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 07:42 AM

Pure Dumb Luck, usually.

Yes, protective gear is great, but don't kid yourself, it is not the true answer. Wayne Rainey is in a wheelchair now, along with my friend who fell off a scaffold while working as a carpenter on a house. People who don't ride will never understand why we do. I have to accept I may crash or be crashed and receive grave personal injuries. The only thing worse would be crashing with a passenger and ultimately being responsible for their injuries or even death. It is very similar to decades ago when I was rock climbing, the first rule for a lead climber is that he CANNOT fall. It is the same here. DON"T CRASH. I crashed 3 out of 4 times by "pushing it", my fault, no one elses. I was wearing nothing more protective than a full-face helmet and most of my injuries were road rash, puncture wounds and sprains and bruises all over. I sometimes wear protective gear now more extensively and haven't needed to test it yet, go figure. The protective gear is more indicative of a responsible and concerned attitude and is probably the only important point. If it becomes something that makes me feel more invulvernable, which it may at times, then I may be headed for that crash eventually. I agree with all the others that say "race on the tracks", even if it is just the local drag nights. Good Luck, PEACE.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:52 AM

Crash #3:
Washed out front end on grease strip on interstate in rain @ ~60mph. Three vehicles ahead of me had a pileup; I decided I didn't want any part of their accident and had my own.

Wearing jeans, boots, non-armored leather jacket, non-armoured gloves, helmet and rainsuit. Rubberized rainsuit slid like peeled grape on wet asphalt.

Broke right thumb, broke a rib on the left side, cracked left scapula (shoulder blade). Slid quite some distance, but no road rash.

Crash #4:
Tooling down straight, flat road on sunny day, idiot in cage waiting in driveway on my right decides he can't wait for me to go by and pulls out. I swerved to avoid (doing maybe 35-45) and almost made it around him, but he t-boned me.

Wearing jeans, boots, non-armoured leather jacket, non-armoured gloves and helmet. Car hit my right leg, thrown off bike and tumbled.

Broke left ankle (two screws), right radius & ulna 1/2" above wrist (three temporary pins), and got compound fracture of right tib-fib (steel rod held in place by four screws). Serious road rash on left knee and right shin around fracture site. Sanded down exposed shinbone a bit on asphalt. (Ouch!!! ) Don't try this at home, kids.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 09:49 AM

I'm suprised your Tellitubby suit held up so well.

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
I currently have a broken left pinky finger and small amount of roadrash on my right elbow from a race track get-off. It is my only crash and of course I had full racing getup on.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 11:07 AM

broken leg and ankle then stood up causing bones to poke out through the skin
My leg had a pin inserted from my knee to my ankle for 18 months held in by large self tapper screws.
No i wasnt wearing gear much to my discomfort (jeans and trainers) I reckon I would not been so badly injured if I had been waring boots and leathers . I still would of been hurt though as a direct hit from a car usually will cause damage no matter what you have on . iw car crushed my leg against the engine of my bike.
That was the end of my squidly not wearing the correct gear phase. A lesson learned the hard way.
12 years on I still suffer recurring knee pain as my joints are [email protected] from the injury.
So take heed all you shorts and T shirt brigade dont learn the hard way like I did
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 12:44 PM

I went wide on a turn, getting thrown off my bike at 60-70, wearing a JR Phoenix jacket, gloves and my Arai RX7 helmet. I ended up with a fractured pelvis, banged up leg, and road rash about the size of a tennis ball on my ass. My wallet saved the other cheek. Three weeks later and I'm hobbling around. My jacket held up and was just dirty. The gloves have a few scrapes on the armored portions. The helmet was untouched, not even a scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode