How about some help on "techniques" and such? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Question How about some help on "techniques" and such?

Okay... all you guys that ride A LOT.... It's been years since I've ridden and I see many questions in other threads that have prompted me to just ask for some help on technique. I know it's probably very difficult to explain over a forum, but... .it might help some of us.

I was thinking some advice on various "situations" that come up when riding would be helpful and how to get out of them.

My particular interest is in "how you are to properly lay a bike down". I've read several things and have heard even more things to do to properly lay one down. And know what... Tuesday when I had to.... I can't tell you if I did ANY of them correctly or at all. I can see how to easily get away from / off the bike if you are in a slide already, but for instance if you are straight up and know you need to lay it down (car in front of you maybe?) how do you properly put it down and get away from it?

May seem remedial to most of you guys, but maybe it'll help someone else not "wait to long" as I did to lay it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 04:18 PM

The only time I can see intentionally laying the bike down is if Im going down the street WAY to fast and a big rig pulls out in front of me and I have to go under the trailer!

Basically, I dont think I would ever just give up hope of escape and lay the bike down.

On the other hand, when you do lay the bike down, I doubt you'll have much say in how it goes
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: How about some help on "techniques" and such?

Quote:
Originally posted by KneeDragger98ZX
if you are straight up and know you need to lay it down (car in front of you maybe?) how do you properly put it down and get away from it?
I can visualize very few (no?) situations where laying a bike down would be preferable to using the brakes/tires to bleed as much speed as possible before (possible) impact, especially if you're "straight up". If you do hit, would you rather go over or under? At's a pretty tough choice to make, and sounds to me like there are just too many variables to give a definitive answer on that choice. I'm thinking I might be inclined to go over what I hit...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Oooookay... feelin like a retard now...... lol
I was just thinking that if I'm even straight up... and heading for something that I know I'm going to impact... that I'd want to lay it down and get away as quick as possible.

Apparently I am in a minority. I don't have all the time in the saddle as most of you guys.... so just overlook if/when I ask tarded things.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:11 PM

Better to ask retarded questions than go and do retarded things (like "layin' it down" to avoid hitting something). Metal, plastic, and even leather slide much more readily than the rubber on your tires, so when you lay 'er down, you and the bike will head toward the undesirable object even faster! Get some real training before you kill yourself.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:16 PM

This is kind of like a guy falling from the roof of a 20th story building asking a guy looking out a 15th story window for help.

You may have had previous experience with dirt bikes where the consequences of a lay-down are rather minimal.

On the street, the consequences are dire at best. Under 20 mph, you might get away with it. But, even then you may survive the lay-down only to get hit by a car.

You go where you look. I recently heard a statistic that a substantial number of the cars that motorcyclists hit had many feet of run off on either side, yet the bike hit the car with the expected results.

Advice: Don't target fixate on the problem. Look away from it.

Your lay-down will most likely be induced by a locked up rear wheel. Forget your rear brake. The front brake is strong enough to lift the rear off of the ground. You just might be able to stop before you hit the obstacle if you concentrate on the front.

Advice: practice panic stops with the empahsis on use of the front brake.

You may very well could have avoided the situation with a little advanced planning. Always assume the car driver will do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time and have a plan for that contingency.

Advice: Constantly be aware of possible peril and have a plan to avoid it.

Sand, oil, water. Look ahead, notice discolorations on the road surface. On blind turns, reduce you speed.

Advice: when in doubt, slow down.

Advice: Take an MSF course and practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:24 PM

"Advice: when in doubt, slow down"

All Desmo's advice was good except this. We all know the old saying (so true) is "when in doubt, gas it!"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
"Advice: when in doubt, slow down"

All Desmo's advice was good except this. We all know the old saying (so true) is "when in doubt, gas it!"
D'OH!!! And me a Kieth Code graduate!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 02:59 AM

MSF class taught me, if you have time to lay the bike down, you have time to do something else to avoid the accident. Thing is, once you lay the bike over, you have no control where it goes. I agree with HondaNut, though. Hehe, but that's because it would look cool. Still, it would look cooler if you were pulling a Nicky Hayden and rubbing your elbow on the ground while going underneath the rig. Dang... all this talk about motorcycle safety and I think of ways I can kill myself. Hmm... anyone have an R1 for me while I'm at it?

Omega
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 03:03 AM

Desmo has made most of the points I would have made here (along with the others). Why would you want to HAVE an accident to try to avoid one? It is never preferable to lay the bike down, unless you are in the process of a lowside and the only other option is to a) chop the throttle and highside, or, b) release the rear brake and highside. In that case, you may be better off to just ride it down on the lowside. But, that's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils....you are already going to crash and you are just trying to control the crash as much as possible. However, if you find yourself in that position on the street, it means you were over-riding the prevailing conditions.

The key here is to ride within the limits set by prevailing conditions and practice practice practice your braking and swerving techniques. The braking practice can mean the difference between hitting an obstacle and almost hitting an obstacle. You can get away with some pretty extreme swerving even under hard braking with a little practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode