Stop Light Woes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Stop Light Woes

OK, this is probably a stupid post, but I've been having a lot of trouble with stop lights lately. Apparently the light can't "see" me and the light never turns green. I've had to actually sit until another car comes along before it activates. Has anyone else had this problem? If you have, and you've figured out a way to get recognized, let me know. I bought my bike to ride, not to sit and a stop light and watch traffic go by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:36 PM

The May Motorcyclist says:

Stop out over the wires, not in the center of the lane

If the layout is square, stop over the wires parallel to the road to use all of the bikes length to present a bigger "target" for the sensor to "see"

Round patterns are the same, but a little more difficult to get lined up efficiently over the wire

Try putting the kickstand down over the wire or running the starter motor to provide a bigger magnetic field

Go to www.greenlighttrigger.com and get the big freakin' magnet and strap that under your bike

If all else fails, use the "The light is obviously malfunctioning" defense, be safe, and ride through.

Again, these are MC magazine's suggestions, I have not tried the kickstand or starter thing (though on my bike if I try the kickstand, I WILL be trying the starter), but next time I get stuck I will probably give it a shot.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:36 PM

I will usually wait through 2 lights MAX. Then if there aren't any cops around, and If you can do it safely run it.
It probably isn't the smartest thing to do and people will most likely call me an idiot, but it saves a lot of time.

I want to emphasize the word SAFELY!

Travis

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:39 PM

And remember, there are no stupid posts, just stupid people
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 02:42 PM

I hope that wasn't directed at me

I are not Stupid

Travis
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 03:24 PM

there are a few single lane left turn signals I have problems triggering. I pull over the white stop line and stay in the right portion of lane and motion for the car to pull up and point to the stop line and let them trigger it. If no car is behind me , 2 light cycles is all I wait . when it is clear I proceede with caution.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 03:44 PM

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 04:01 PM

Great question trigger, I have that problem also. I keep adjusting my bike in that space trying to get the light to change.

Hey limegreen6r, I've seen you in a couple of post and it seems like you have an answer for everything. Pretty amazing!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by limegreen6R
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=234&1=273&3=177

It's only $6.50, and it works.
Just HAD to undercut the price on my big honkin' magnet, didn'tcha?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 11:40 PM

If...

you dont want to risk it by running the red light... turn right and make a u-turn... safely of course...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode