Stop and Think? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Red face Stop and Think?

So today was my first day back at work since I took a little spill a few days ago. I was on crutches, sitting at my desk w/ my foot elevated. People were in and out of the office. Everyone had some kind of story about motorcyle accidents! Most of the stories were light-hearted conversations about the inherent risks involved with riding. "My brother had one and crashed it into a parked car," or "I used to ride, but after my fifth crash, I decided it was time to stop." These were the kind of responses I got. Then this older guy came in and asked me what happend. I told him the standard 411. He gave a little sigh. He sat down at my desk and told me his son was killed 14 years ago riding his motorcycle to the Vet in Philly. The wind had pushed him off the bike. He broke his neck and the handle bars had somehow sliced a major artery in his leg. He ended up bleeding to death. He said he never even had a chance to say good bye.

So I guess my real question boils down to:

Do you ever think about dying from an accident on your bike?

I'm not saying that I am too scared to ride now. I love to ride and it will always be a part of my life. You can't be affraid of the "what if" situations out there, but his comment had really put things in realistic perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 04:29 PM

Since I ride an obviously battle scarred bike, I am constantly regailed with stories of horrific motorcycle deaths. I really resent it. Usually in talking to these people, I am able to drag out of them that the person was not wearing any kind of protective gear, or inadequate/inapropriate riding gear (one person gave me a story of her brother's face being ripped off. He was wearing on of those DOT skull cap harley helmets). Of all the horrific stories I've been told, only a few have come down to someone who was trained, experienced, and wearing appropriate gear, and killed by someone else's actions.

I think about dying on my bike. I'm aware of it, and I take steps to avoid it. I am offended by motorcyclists who don't. They give us a bad name, and force us to stand around and listen to these stories. Wear your gear, don't ride drunk, get some training. I don't want to listen to your mom tell me about how you died.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 04:51 PM

The Big Fear.

It's different for everyone.

The summer of 2000 I got to spend almost a month in the hospital and three months in a wheelchair thanks to an idiot in a car. I broke my left ankle, right radius and ulna, and suffered a massive compound fracture of the right tib-fib from where my shin put a six-inch deep dent in the Camry's bumper.

Early September of 2001, I bought my roommate a used 250 Ninja as a combination birthday/X-mas/"thank you for giving me a place to stay while I healed" present. They delivered the bike to my place of business and I rode it back to the apartment for him, and that 1.5 mile ride on that little bike just told me I couldn't stop riding. Within a week, I bought a TL1000S.

I'm still scared on the road. I admit it. I was damned lucky I wasn't killed, and once one driver has looked right at you and then driven into you, you realize that any of them could, at any moment. But I have to ride. I have to. I could no more stop riding than I could stop breathing.

I'm a lot slower through corners now; slower than I should be. Having been down and knowing what it's like can really put the fear in you if you overcook one. Thankfully, I've been riding for 12 years and my instinctive reactions keep me safe even when my conscious mind is scared and wants to tighten up on the bars or grab the brakes in a turn.

If you're at all sane, a serious wreck'll probably slow you down some for a while.

But you know what? After a bit of recuperating, you'll probably come out a better and smoother rider, (even a faster one, when it's safe) because it'll really make you look at your fundamentals.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 05:02 PM

Being an O-L-D bachelour & knowing how hard it is to hobble.fumble around alone at home---- I can think of how any accident that would take me off my feet to be a problem. Most of all, way back inside, I fear that I could be paralized.
Still this is my 56th yr of constant riding so you can see my enthusiasm overcomes my small bits of fear everyonce in a while.
Basically when on the bike the fear is never there.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 06:58 AM

Ok maybe Im twisted. I think about dying all the time on my bike. but I rationalize it this way. we are all going to die, so damn it if Im gonna die I may as well die with a smile on my face!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 08:20 AM
jrm

I think about having fun, but being careful, riding within my limits and remembering my responsibilities to my wife. It is true we will all go sometime, but, as Kevlar7R says, we can all take protective steps to postpone that day.

Most folks I know that ride have been in accidents of some kind. Almost EVERYONE I know that drives a car has been in an accident, too. It is a dangerous world out there, no matter what you do. Bicycle rider, moto rider, car driver, pilot, etc...

I feel there is a big difference between an accident that I create for myself (riding beyond limits, miscalculation, etc) and those caused by someone else's error (drunk, putting make-up on, cell phone, etc). If I go down due to my mistake, that's riding. Motorcycles are forever at gravity's mercy. Last cager that really scared me by blowing an intersection, I pulled over so I could bitch at her. I yelled and told her how sad, lonely and pissed off my wife would be at her for offing me. I yelled until this woman cried to get my point across and then drove off to change my shorts.

There is dangerous stuff out there at every turn and I think about it. I am not afraid, but aware. Given the choice (whether my fault or others') I would prefer to go doing something I enjoy, just not right now.

A really weird twist to my life is my wife's new interest in mountain climbing. While I consider my riding to be relatively safe, her climbing around avalanche chutes, scrambling up mountain peaks scares the crap out of me.

Trunabout is fair play, I guess. Strange to be on the other side of worry, though.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:06 AM

jrm: I climbed mountains-------

-----along with ski mountaineering from 1949 till '63. So I know the enjoyment your wife is having. In fact I moved into a mtn town to set up a sport shop that specialized with mountaineering & skiing equipment from '54 to '63 & in that way I was within minutes of doing the above.
Yes I have had had falls, escaped some avalanches & been cought in a few.
With the above climbing skills & no fear of height I also took on special jobs with 'danger pay'.
I started m/cing legally in '45 so into comp events from '47 till '89---- well you can see my fear is rather small.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 06:42 AM
jrm

It is just weird having the shoe on the other foot.

I would guess that the majority of folks on this board who race/ride fast consider themselves as the more dangerous of the husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend couple. I am comfortable with my moto life, as I am sure they are, because I am in control of it--I make the decisions--I drive the bike--my safety is largely up to me. As long as I don't make a mistake, I will be there for my wife/family.

I am sure Christa thinks the same of climbing. She is comfortable, in control, etc, and has confidence she won't make a fatal mistake. It is really the first time I have felt I could be the one who experiences a lost loved-one through a dangerous activity/sport.

Remember when you first got your bike and everyone told you that you were more likely to go down in the first 6-12 months of ownership than you were the rest of your riding life? Christa is about 3 months into the climbing thing, which I look at in a similar light. Now is her most dangerous time, too.

It took years of convincing her that I was a safe rider and would act responsibly on my bike. Guess it will take time for me to grow comfortable with the climbing, too. She supported me in all my crazy actvities of choice and I will support her in hers, but it is hard.

Refering back to the original post--Yeah, I think about riding, living, dying and having fun on the moto all the time. Doesn't make me stop, but makes me ride more conservatively.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 07:17 AM

jrm: Look at it this way --------

------ I am still riding with a '97 YZF600r & '00 Honda 929 plus a '87 Yamaha TZR-250 I use to road race on.
Simply did not have the time to get back to climbing as I was a full-time fruit orchardist from '63 till '74. As of Dec '89 I injured myself AT HOME in smashing in the left hip at the wrong place. That ended any dirt comp which I was doing up till then & any thoughts about climbing.
So the big slow-down was a home accident & not while competing in dirt events, or practing for them, or on the hwy (you see from '46 I ALSO had street irons), or when competitive skiing in Downhill or Giant Slalom, ski mountaineering, normal skiing, or when climbing mts. It was a simply at-home accident.!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 07:39 AM

My personal view is that death is a part of life, although a part most people ignore... and life is temporary. Looking at it strictly from a motorcycle perspective is rather short sighted.

Assuming that death is not on the calender lets folks take their lives and the lives of their loved ones for granted. It's simply lazy. You think you don't have to say "I'm sorry" or I love you" because you'll get around to it tomorrow.

This takes a toll when someone is snuffed out, unexpectedly; so many things that should have been said but weren't.

People and relationships are transitory. Spouses, children, friends; all our time together is temporary.

Don't waste it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode