daily rider reliability - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

daily rider reliability

ok, well I got about $500 to put down on a bike now so I'm going for it. no matter what bike I get it will be an older one 88-94 most likely a little beat up on the plastic, heres the deal I need to figure which one will be best for my daily rider, to and from work, I will put atleast 15k miles each year if not more for atleast 3 years, here are my choices:

katana 600 (this is my favorite so far),
ninja ex500(not bad just a little smaller then I would like),
cbr f1 (I doubt I will find one in good condition),
seca II (just kinda considering this one)
fzr 600 (not many around here though),

I like the katana most so far, but how reliable are these bikes, as far as engine/gear box go. which ones are real lemons, and which ones perform well, I know most of you don't like the katana, but I like the way it feels, and no matter what each of these bikes will be faster then my trans am,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 05:37 PM

Get the EX500 over the Kraptana

I wish you were near, I would damn near give you that Hurricane....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

well I would love to have it, but 3k miles is a long way to ride a bike, is the ex500 really faster and more reliable then the katana

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 08:19 PM

No, I would'nt say really fast, but fast enough to be plenty of fun!

And I dont know about the Katanas reliability, but I know the EX has a very reliable drivetrain.

Dont quote me, but I think the EX is quicker than a comparable year 600 katana.... ~~We'll see what someone else says
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 08:30 PM

Is the $500 a down payment? If so I've seen some pretty good deals on 600's in the FL cycle trader, and at some of the local shops in my area. If you can go around $100 a month, or in some cases even less, you could most likely nab a deal on a pretty good 600.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

its mostly for transportation so I don't want to go overboard and finance 5k, I have the cycle trader in front of me. yes lots of deals, my credit now has to many inquires on it to get a good loan so I think I'll just save up another month and buy a cheap bike out right. who knows maybe I'll try the loan deal once more. I don't know, right now I just gotta figure out which bike to get. and I like the ex500 and katana the best, they are closest to my price range, which right now is $500
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 06:56 AM

An EX500 is slower than a Kat. (500cc parallel twin with less power than a 600cc Four? Get outta town! ) But are you out to win races or learn to ride a bike?

As far as reliability goes, the Seca II and the Kat probably top your list; they use relatively simple engines that have been around since the Earth cooled.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

not going to race, yet, although I have found many websites with ninja 500 race bikes, I'm looking for something I won't be bored with after 6 months, I wiegh 235lbs and am 6'3'' so it has to be comfy for those 4 1/2 hour trips to daytona, plus I want a bike with enough power to move my big ass so the seca and kat are the most reliable, do they both have 6-speed gearbox's which one handles better? I like the way the kat and ninja looks better then the seca, why are the mirrors on the handle bars, looks kinda old school, well thanks, and hey tamara are you a guy or a woman, just curiosity, its obvious you have knowlege so it doesn';t really matter I guess.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 07:53 AM

The Seca II uses the engine from the old FZ600, except with 26mm carbs replacing the 30mm Mikunis of the FZ. The air/oil-cooled unit on the Kat is a sleeved-down variant of the 750cc mill from the original GSX-R750. The Kat has adjustable damping up front and is adjustable for preload and rebound damping in the rear, while the Seca only has rear preload adjustment. The Kat has bigger rubber in the back and 20 more rear-wheel horsepower, but is 40 pounds heavier dry, and has expensive-to-repair plastic all over it (not necessarily a good thing on a first bike).

...and I'm a mean bikie chick.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

an educated biker chick, cool. so it sounds like the kat is the better bike, so its between that and the ex500, which I think will handle better. well
I got time left to figure it all out still, decisions decisions. I live in south florida and there are alot of people riding bikes just trying to be cool, not many for the joy of riding, there are alot of women but mostly they aren't very attractive at all and the ones that are are complete flakes, hows things out by you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode