lane sharing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

lane sharing

OK... quick question for all the fellow riders.... how often do you ride between cars... especially in dead traffic... or very slow moving traffec. i do it once in a while.... especially when it gets really hot outside.. and i'm sittin on a 230 degree engine. anyone had any bad experiances while doin this? how much does the cops frown on this?... any info is useful.. thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:31 AM

tires tend to pick up foreign objects when lane splitting... and new tires tend to put a nice dent in my wallet. I weave from time to time, but I try not to lane split.

Yes, in most states lane splitting is illegal.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

thank you... anyone know if its illigal to lane split in Michigan??

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 12:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Good post DuckGirl.

I'd like to add a couple things.

I'm also in California. I do split lanes also. But did you know what the speed limit, while splitting lanes is (in Cali)?

35 miles an hour. I'm not a slow poke, but if traffic is 35mph or faster, I will follow traffic (unless there is a mile of empty road in front of the cage I'm behind), and will see bikes flying past me. The way I see it, they will get any cops' attention... thank you very much.

Also, in the daytime, I usually ride with my high beams on, so you get a little more attention.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaDuck748

I'm also in California. I do split lanes also. But did you know what the speed limit, while splitting lanes is (in Cali)?

35 miles an hour.

Also, in the daytime, I usually ride with my high beams on, so you get a little more attention.
When I first purchased my bike I went to the CHP office & asked for clarification on lane splitting & lane sharing. Both are legal in Cali. I was told that the rule of thumb was 10 MPH (or less) faster than the traffic you're riding through when lane splitting. This is assuming the traffic is congested & as was earlier mentioned they don't want you flying through the masses. Lane sharing is considered the same as passing & those rules apply. I like the idea of high beams during the daytime. My intergrator kit makes my brake light flash which draws attention to me better & high beams just make sense for the additional safety.
I've been pulled over even when following these rules & have been successful in avoiding tickets by asserting I knew the rules & was following them. Additionally on one occasion I asked the KC Deputy to call CHP & confirm I was telling the truth. The officer even thanked me afterwards for enlightening him.
This isn't to say it's a good idea for everyone & the cautions about debris & cagers inability to see us are important factors to consider.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 01:01 PM

here in phx

It's legal here in Phoenix, but almost everyone frowns on it. In fact, if you ask someone if it's legal, most of them will say it's not, and then look surprised when they find out it is.

People are stupid and sometimes go as far as to completely obstruct your path in order for you not to pass them. It can lead to road rage in a hurry that's for sure. One time a chevy truck completely cut me off and swerved to block the lane, and then proceeded to stare at me. I don't know what people like that think they're going to prove.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with a cop near you. Even if it is legal, cops here will pull you over for just about anything they can. It's not worth trying your luck.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 05:08 PM

Anybody know if this is still true?

If memory serves (Motorcyclist Magazine/COG list server?), I read/heard a few years back that lane splitting in CA was not illegal, but if you had an accident while doing so, you were at fault.
If true, that sounds about right. I figured it was just another case of the government wanting it both ways: they want you to lane split in order to ease congestion/pollution, etc, but aren't willing to back you up in case you have an accident, no matter who's at fault.
Anybody know what the scoop on this is? If this is the case, ya might wanna rethink lane splitting until your government decides to back you up on it. If it's not (or never has been) true...nevermind...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 05:11 PM

I try very hard not to ride next to a car with space in the next lane that they might decide to switch over to. As long as two cars are next to each other I feel pretty safe passing between them.

As far as speed differential, I feel pretty confident that I can react in time with brakes covered and 100% concentration so I feel okay up to 20mph faster than the cars and maybe 45 mph overall. I feel better moving past them briskly so that I spend less time in their blind spots.

Keep the revs where you can make some power but try not to blast them with insane dB's.

I'm gonna die when I move back to states without legal lane splitting. I doubt very seriously if I'd do it much if it were illegal but we'll have to see. The hardest thing to give up is splitting to the front of the line at red lights. That is just pure heaven when trying to get somewhere in town in midday traffic.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Anybody know if this is still true?

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur
If memory serves (Motorcyclist Magazine/COG list server?), I read/heard a few years back that lane splitting in CA was not illegal, but if you had an accident while doing so, you were at fault.
If true, that sounds about right. I figured it was just another case of the government wanting it both ways: they want you to lane split in order to ease congestion/pollution, etc, but aren't willing to back you up in case you have an accident, no matter who's at fault.
Anybody know what the scoop on this is? If this is the case, ya might wanna rethink lane splitting until your government decides to back you up on it. If it's not (or never has been) true...nevermind...
That's exactly what I was told when I went to the CHP for clarification. The exception being if a cager deliberately does something to cause the collision which I found happens more in LA traffic than here in small town Bakersfield. If you can show the car was @ fault by deliberate action (need a witness) then they would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
I try very hard not to ride next to a car with space in the next lane that they might decide to switch over to. As long as two cars are next to each other I feel pretty safe passing between them.

As far as speed differential, I feel pretty confident that I can react in time with brakes covered and 100% concentration so I feel okay up to 20mph faster than the cars and maybe 45 mph overall. I feel better moving past them briskly so that I spend less time in their blind spots.

Keep the revs where you can make some power but try not to blast them with insane dB's.

I'm gonna die when I move back to states without legal lane splitting. I doubt very seriously if I'd do it much if it were illegal but we'll have to see. The hardest thing to give up is splitting to the front of the line at red lights. That is just pure heaven when trying to get somewhere in town in midday traffic.

I too would rather move past them quickly & feel pretty confident @ most times that I can react to most things. Although I try to follow the law in real congested traffic it's hard to creep by someone & more often than not I squirt by as quick as I can.

I get real paranoid @ the back of a traffic line. I was injured badly years ago when a Town car smacked me from behind. I really don't remember too much about the accident but I sure remember the hospital part & to this day I have problems with my spine which required 2 return trips to the OR for fusion of C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7. So if I come across as stiff necked I've a Doctor's excuse Even if they changed the law I'm going to the front.

Have others experienced the problem of moving to the front of the traffic line only to have the idiot next to you get upset & try to race you or start honking, yelling or some other manifestation of their discontent? There is one stoplight in town on the way to work that I turn left @ with 2 turn lanes. I don't know how many times the car next to me starts to creep up into the crosswalk in order to try & get the jump on me. I usually just shake my head @ the futility of this & blast off when the light turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode