odds of a get off - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

odds of a get off

NOW IM NOT TALKING ABOUT RACING BUT HAS ANYONE EVER NOT BEEN IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT, AND IF SO HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN RIDIN'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:46 PM

Red face ever NOT been in an accident????

Lol! Sure is quiet ???

Twice for me
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:48 PM

p.s. this is a good thread for Daily Rider. Im gonna move it there...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Founder

I've been in about 20 or so accidents (both on the street and track) and have been riding for about 30 years. But I also know people who have ridden for 50+ years with no accidents. (My Father) I don't think you can really get a set of "odds" on if you will be in an accident or not as it depeneds on too many different factors.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:03 PM

"Motorcycle safety" is an oxymoron. These things ain't safe and you will find gravity is very dependable. I've been riding since 1968 in all types of riding from ice racing to Gold Wing stuff. Fall down go boom quite a few times. Always got up to do it again. Have fun.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:41 PM

I think I made it 3 months before my first crash back in 92. It was a pretty good one too. Parked it under the Armco. Lesson in look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

It all depends on how hard you want to ride too. I wanted to ride hard and learn the limits (still do). I go down periodically. If you want to ride for safe transportation you can go 80 years without an accident.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 02:56 AM

That's true Apex....the harder you ride, the more your odds go up for wadding.

I don't even know anymore how many times I've crashed...varying severity. From lowside...get back on and ride, to highside...get in meatwagon and go visit the nurses. I even hit a car once (on the street, of course). I had one bike (RD350) that I must have crashed 15 times.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 06:49 AM

aw sh!t. now after this post im probablygonna end up tossing my bike away with in a week. I have yet to lay my bike down. I been riding for 17 years all without one wreck.... Numerouse close calls, but bike never went down.

Mike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 08:14 AM

Apex hit it on the nose. If your street time is purely transportation, and you are reasonably alert, you could have the same odds as a cage driver. You just usually get hurt worse, proportionally, when it does happen, cuz you got no big car around you taking the punshment.

HOWEVER, the more pleasure via performance you try to squeeze out of your machine, the closer to the edge of the envelope you get, and the worse your odds get. I only made it 4.5 months but it had zero to do with transportation.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 08:41 AM

Have to agree with Joss and Apex. My highside last Oct. was due to backroad blitzing and passing my limits. Another area worth mentioning is alcohol. Your chances of a get off go WAAAAY UP when intoxicated. (Trust Me)! I haven't drank in about 15 years but there was a time when a median just jumped right out in front of me. End over end was the result. No fun Riding drunk has got to be one of the most dangerous thing you can do on a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode