Down.... Broken Clavicle - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Down.... Broken Clavicle - Pictures Added

Well... it finally happened. I rode for years with nothing... GSXR, 650 special and a few Harleys.... just recently got a bone stock ZX6e and got back on the road. Yesterday morning I was heading to work and going through a little S-curve. Just before the last apex of the curve, rounding the corner... I get to stare at a little red car going wide... in my lane. Only taking up about half of my lane, but then I went to the outside and proceeded to continue to take the curve I guess the force of going wide so quick was a little much to hold. (an object in motion tends to... blah blah blah). Anyway...It simply wouldn't quite hold at that point, started sliding just a bit, if I'd have had 6 more inches of blacktop, I'd have been fine, but the back wheel dropped off the edge and once it hit that gravel.... off it went.

Then I committed the cardinal sin. Once it went off, it straightened, soooooo.... yep, you got it.... ( I can save it ) Yea, right. Instead of laying it down immediately I tried to save my baby. DO NOT attempt that. I won't go into detailing the various positions and junk like that. LOL Ended up coming out very blessed with just a snapped clavicle.

Had tons of people stop offering help, Sherrif's department stopped and stayed till my buddy got there. Gave me the name of a good place to get used parts if I wanted. He rides as well.

Need forks, and plastic (front only) but that looks to be the extent of it.

LESSON LEARNED: LAY IT FREAKIN' DOWN. DO NOT try to save your 'baby'. I have been told a million times and have preached it over and over, but.... when the time came...

Any links to where I can get parts reasonable would be appreciated. They said 6 weeks to heal up.... uh... I don't THINK so. I'm ready to get on the road now. It was a beautiful day too!! And I missed it. Grrrr

Last edited by KneeDragger98ZX; 05-03-2002 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 03:07 AM

[email protected], Brother!

Heya, I'm glad you're okay. I hate to hear about a rider going down. This hits a little closer to home seeing as we have the same bike. Not many of us "E" riders out there. As to parts you may need, I'm not sure if you're looking for just spare parts or some Sharkskin fairings. I looked on ebay a few days ago and they had some ZX6E items for sale. Had some fairings too. Also, I started a thread called "ZX6E Riders/Owners" in the Kawasaki forum. The guys listed some aftermarket parts/products and some sites to look at.

Again, glad to hear you're okay. Hope the info I gave you helps a little.

Omega Purp
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 03:48 AM

That sucks, my sympathy to you and your bike.
Just a note about your clavicle, the doc really does mean at _least_ 6 weeks to fully heal. I broke mine last summer on a dirt bike, and about 6 weeks later dropped it very gently and managed to snap it again in the same spot. Of course, I was back on my old 650 on the street within a week, shifting clutchless because it hurt too much to stretch my left arm out to the bar.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 04:21 AM

I broke mine a few years ago (fell off a horse) and didn't follow the doc's instructions and it didn't heal right. Even though it sucks...follow instructions

Sorry about your bike and glad you are okay
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:04 AM

Thumbs up happy

Hey man, I'm glad you're ok!!! Hope you get your bike back together quickly.

I'm just curious, but what kind of tires were you running when you wrecked???
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Battle X's
I firmly believe if I had a little more time under my belt recently (been years since I've ridden a lot) I probably coulda pulled it out.

Hey! This doesn't make me a Squid, does it??? LOL
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:08 AM

Smile

If getting in this accident made you a squid, almost all the riders on this board would be squids, because we've almost all been down at least once.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:15 AM

According to our books this prang does not bring you into the squid class. LOL
Still sorry to hear about a fellow rider going down because of a cage driver, not to mention injuries & costs.
Pity you were not driving an 18 wheeler for then we know what would have happened to the red car on the wrong side of the road.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:16 AM

Hrm, you may want to go back to D207's on the bike. I've tried the BT010's and wasn't all that impressed. They stuck great in a straight line, but not so well in those curves. Not as well as the 207's did for me at least.

For parts, check out RonAyers Motorsports. They have very very good prices if you order online, and are very quick to deliver what you order. If you don't see the parts listed directly, just pull up the buy kawasaki website and get the parts diagrams for your pick, and pull up individual part numbers, and use ron ayer's part number search.

Best of luck in getting back on the street asap.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:52 AM

Unhappy Ouch!

Get well soon!

(Replace your regular morning OJ with the kind that has extra calcium in it, and eat lotsa stuff with cheese. The more calcium you get, the faster you knit, and most of us adult types don't get enough.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode