Summer project: '00 TL1000R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Talking Summer project: '00 TL1000R

I feel in love last week at the local junkyard. Much to the dismay of my girlfriend, i brought this fine jewel home today. She is a 2000 TL1000R that someone carelessly threw away after a minor bump! Their trash is my treasure. Funny note, as we are standing in doorway of my room, she shaking her head and me beaming with pride, the front axle slipped loose and the bike lurched forward and down an inch or two. To quote the gf, "that sums up my opinion." Well, I am not so easily detered. Can anyone recommend any websites or companies that specialize in the TL-R? I have run several web searchs and keep getting the same couple names. Hoping to find some new ones that might offer discount or used parts. Have a feeling this might end up being an Ebay sourced project. Have attached a picture of this fine piece of machinery, hope it is not too large. The budget is about $4k, after buying bike, so i am looking to rebuild better than stock. Any advice or guidance appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:25 AM

Hey pal, your babys been hurt!

My wife has seen me bring home broken souls like that all to often. I just like to tinker. Ill bring home something like that fix it up and then sell it a month or two later, just to finance my next project.

Unfortunately for you I hav no idea where you could find parts for your new toy. But good luck.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:04 AM

Hey Ricerun01,

I may be able to help you out a bit. I did the wrecked TL project myself last summer...

Here it is after I added the front end, tail section and new rear rim:

Then after a little more work:

It's still missing a tail light and a few things here and there, but I still ride it.

Ok, no back to your TL project... I have a bunch of extra parts/bolts/plastics that you might want.

I'll go home tonight and shoot some pics of the extra stuff I have and you can let me know if your interested.

Feel free to email me [email protected] and maybe we can get your TL to come alive!

-KillaRide

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:24 AM

Nice Tiller Ricerun...just needs some TLC, right? I don't know of any sites off the top of my head that specialize in that bike, but I would check out gixxer.com if I were you. There are a lot of used parts for sale in the classified section, and a section in the forums dedicated to the Tiller. The peeps over there should be able to help you out as I find that they tend to be very knowledgeable about their bike of choice. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:24 AM

I've been saying this alot lately.... try www.ronayers.com for OEM parts. I have yet to find a place with better deals for OEM parts. I generally do My projects over the winter, when I can't be riding all the time, but if you so desire to do it in the summer, so be it. Look forward to seeing it all shiny and new-looking again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I would rather do the project over the winter months, but since i am a full time student, the summer months are my only free time...aside from working full time. "to the junkyard we go!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:05 AM

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Good taste in bikes; TL's are a hoot to ride. (Well, actually the "S" is more of a "terrified scream" than a "hoot", but anyway... )

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode