Clutch Life and stoplights - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Life and stoplights

I've been told by one guy I ride with that I must put my bike into neutral when at stoplights because remaining in 1st with the clutch disengaged will cause excessive wear and dramatically reduce clutch life. Doesn't necessarily make sense to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:20 PM

Cold 4-0,

I don't know about "dramatic" wear, but it will cause some wear. Just the fact that the clutch has to keep first gear engaged will wear it down, but not a huge amount. So if your gonna be at the light a long time, maybe pop up into neutral, but if not, then just keep it in first.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:48 PM

That's not necessarily true, though it will cause more clutch wear than putting the bike in neutral at every stop. Sounds like he's overrating it a bit. Personally I'll keep the bike in gear - you never know when you'll have to dodge a cager tearing up behind you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 01:47 PM

I usually leave it in gear until my hand gets tired and/or there is a few cars stacked up behind me (to absorb an potential rear enders), then I toss it in neutral.

Here is an interesting fact. There is a super brief one line comment in Arizona law (and many other states from what I understand) stating that it is illegal to place any vehicle in neutral on a public roadway except in emergency situations. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, and I doubt any cops have even heard of it.

It also speficially says in Arizona law that it is illegal to operate a motorcycle in neutral on a downhill. Lets hope the Yarnell cops don't figure that out, Cause I want a rematch, Robert. :-)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
I usually leave it in gear until my hand gets tired and/or there is a few cars stacked up behind me (to absorb an potential rear enders), then I toss it in neutral.

Here is an interesting fact. There is a super brief one line comment in Arizona law (and many other states from what I understand) stating that it is illegal to place any vehicle in neutral on a public roadway except in emergency situations. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, and I doubt any cops have even heard of it.

It also speficially says in Arizona law that it is illegal to operate a motorcycle in neutral on a downhill. Lets hope the Yarnell cops don't figure that out, Cause I want a rematch, Robert. :-)
I think that's actually true now that you mention it, I heard a rumor once about a kid failing his driver's test for putting his cage in neutral at a stoplight.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:13 PM

Fifty-six yrs of riding m/cs & I always put my bike into neutral when I come to a red light or a Stop sign where I know I am going to be held up for a few 5+ seconds due to traffic.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:40 PM

I have a '99 R1 that both clutches lasted a little over 45,000 miles a piece and I never shift out of gear at a stop light. The only time my bike is in neutral is when I am oiling the chain.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dunhamg
I have a '99 R1 that both clutches lasted a little over 45,000 miles a piece and I never shift out of gear at a stop light. The only time my bike is in neutral is when I am oiling the chain.

Do you think oiling the chain will make it flexible? Mine is like rebar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:45 PM

I am not sure about the equivalent part on a bike, but a car clutch system has a throw out bearing that will wear out way faster if you fail to put the transmission in neutral when standing at a light, etc. The clutch does not wear out any faster, however. But if the throw out bearing goes, you cannot work the clutch. Bingo.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts. Going forward I'll look to go to Neutral when its obvious I'm in for a wait, otherwise I prefer to remain in gear for that sudden to need to get away.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode