What to Buy... What to Buy... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

What to Buy... What to Buy...

Hey Everyone,
I am currently riding an RC-51, but for financial reasons it looks like I'm gonna need to get rid of it. So I am trying to figure out what to replace it with. When I originally bought the bike I lived 3 miles from work, now I live about 40 miles away. And obviously an RC is not a choice ride for a 40 mile freeway commute!!!!
So, I am looking to replace it with one of two different types of bike. I either want something for around town fun, or something that I can commute on, yet still have some decent performance. I have looked at everything ranging from, KTM's Duke II, Triumphs Speed Triple, to the new VFR. I'm kinda partial to the VFR, I like the looks, and it seems like something I could commute on as well as ride semi-aggressively in the hills. I also like the SV but Im not sure how that would on the freeway. And what about a Hayabusa..........ah heck, I don't know.
Thanks for any input.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
get an sv for fun and a z-1, cb900f, kz1000 or gs1100 for the commute. the two together are probably 2/3 of the value of your rc51. and if you buy a used sv and old open classer for about half.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 08:43 AM

I commute on my Bandit 1200 on a daily basis. For me it's about 20 miles each way (unless I take the twisty route, then it's about 25) The bike works well for this purpose and one can be had for a reasonable price.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Tony- Thanks for the input. How do you think the SV would do if it was my only bike?

Bandit- I hadn't thought about the 1200, I'll have to go ride one!!! I have a buddy at work with one and he seems to love it. Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:06 AM

VFR is probably top on the list if I was in your boots. Still I would not hesitate to buy the Suzy SV650S OR even a Yamaha YZF600r ------- the latter not being the high revving screamer of the R6 & would offer you a better riding position, a PADDED SADDLE, great brakes, plenty of power, etc.
I have a 929 & a YZF600r & if it came down to only one bike I would hang onto the YZF600r!!!!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:08 AM

Well the way i see it the rc could make the 40 mile commute in like 15 minutes .

Have you looked into.... dare i say.... a ninja
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DustedSunshine
Well the way i see it the rc could make the 40 mile commute in like 15 minutes .

Have you looked into.... dare i say.... a ninja
Been there, done that!!! At night, when there is no traffic i get home in a blink

And I love Ninjas, I have owned a 6E & 7R, but I would like to try something different this time!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Smitty,

I hear ya, the VFR is a pretty nice all around package for me I think. But man, there is a lot of cool stuff out there!!! I dont want to overlook anything
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 10:57 AM

Have you considered a Yamaha FZ1? They have plenty of comfort for freeway drones, plus they are a pile of fun on the twisties. If you like your buddies Bandit 1200 then you will be blown away by the FZ1.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:48 PM

Commuting Bike

When I got back into bikes last year, I started with an SVS. Wonderful bike. There are a million mods you can do to an SV/S, and in the midst of doing them, I realized I was (basically) trying to turn it into a VFR. So I went out and bought a VFR, and have all but forgotten that I still own the SVS. Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode