traffic court today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation traffic court today

well today was my court date. my buddy and i both got nailed for 53 over the limit (in a 55 mph), and drag racing. i had already talked to the county atty. and he said he would work something out with us. just to be sure we took a lawyer with us.
when he called me over to talk (before my atty. got there) , he told me that he was not aware that we were charged with "drag racing", he said "this is serious, we have a problem...". i told him we were surely speeding, but under no circumstance was i drag racing. he told me to go sit down and wait.
our lawyer showed up, and i told her what the DA had said. i told her that i would not plead guilty to drag racing. i told her my bike would run 180 mph. if we had been really racing, i would have been going 180! my buddy has a 1993 yzf 600 with a top speed of about 130, what would be the point of drag racing him? i told her that i realize that this argument doesn't make the situation look any better, and i know i should just act sorry, and promise not to do it again. BUT, i told her i could not plead guilty to something i wasn't doing. speeding...yes. racing...no!
she went and talked to the county atty for a few minutes. then came back and said she was going to go pull our license histories. both came back clean.
we went before the judge, and he read the charges and then read the county atty's reccomendation. drag racing...dismissed. speeding, 26 over the limit...amended to traffic school. 199.50 in fines and court costs. AND no points on our licenses!!!!!!!!! the lawyer was charging us 75 bucks each. we both gave her 150$, and said thanks for saving our bacon!
after court i went and bought a radar detector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 06:01 PM

That's cool that you got the drag racing taken off; but how did they reduce the speeding ticket from 53 over to just 26 over?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

i was very lucky . the county atty was really cool about everything. the judge was an ex- lawyer of mine. my current lawyer was in tight with the county atty. everything just went my way for a change. AND, this was just the preliminary hearing where you usually plead guilty or not guilty, and then come back with the officer present (the creep isn't there on the first trip to court). oh, and BTW, he amended it to 26 over, THEN deferred it to traffic school
so, NO POINTS, NO RECORD Just a trip to traffic school

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 08:34 PM

Man that is awesome. Where'd you find a lawyer that cheap? If only they were out here

Also I know when I went to court it was an all in one deal, pig there and all. Was this different because you had more serious charges (drag racing)? Or is your state just good about giving you a chance?

Last edited by speed; 04-29-2002 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

in kentucky, the cop does not appear at the first court visit. you are required to say if you are " guilty or not guilty". if you plead "not guilty" you are given a second court date, and the cop is summoned.
i live in a fairly small town, so i wanted to get rid of the charges before the cop had the chance to make this sound any more serious than it already did.
we were lucky to be able to resolve it, on the first court appearance . it could have been a LOT worse!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 PM

I have my court date for the 13th. I got pegged for a measly 13 over, which is only about 3 faster than the rest of traffic was going. The cop pulled this "the roads are wet and stopping distance...blah blah blah...your own safety...blah blah...I'm an asshole...here's your ticket" stuff, so I went and put a "not guilty" in with the magistrate. I told her my situation and she said that looking at my not exactly clean but not awful driving record I had a good chance of working something out on the court date. Then again the cop might not show up, even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode