another rear tire SHOT! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

another rear tire SHOT!

Not again!just when I was gonna by a seat cowl..Ifind a big hexhead screw in my back tire! No I didn't plug it, bought a new one.I dont do burnouts and avoid the interstate rides when I canand Iwas wearing out the sides more than the center..remember I'm in Fla..In one year Ive gone through 3 rear and 1 front for a total 11,340 mi.at least it held air to get me to the shop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 04:01 PM

Here is a tip on how to not have so many punctured tyres.

Only ride six months of the year & in that way less chance of obtaining punctures. LOL
Still all kiding aside that number of tyres in such a short spell it rather staggering. Wish there was a 'magic' thing you could do, but that is how the cookie crumbles.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 04:56 PM

Thats a real pisser and a drain on the wallet. Against all advise here I had a tire patched last winter and guess what, it didnt work. Just have to buy a new one and live with it when they go flat.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 05:06 PM

I had a new rear tire installed last summer.

Took the rear wheel off and took it to the shop, had the tire installed and balanced, took it home, put the wheel back on and adjusted the chain. I rode to my Fathers house 3 miles away and when I got back home and hosed down the bike, I found a 16 penny nail through the center and sticking out the sidewall.

Total of 6 miles and the tire was TRASH!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 05:45 PM

are you bragging or complaining??

i get 3000 miles out of my rears, 6 on the front..(this on dunlaps) im on my 1st set of bridgestone 010s we'll see if i can get alittle more milage..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 06:17 PM

Bah, I would have had it plugged and then proceed to do a wicked burnout on it until it blew, THEN get a new tire. At least that way you know you wore the thire until it finally blew
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I did that with one of my previous tires and it was fun..until I had to clean all that rubber off my fender, swingarm , engine, it was every where! that tire got punctured by a chunck of glass. I'm complaining cause I was all ready set to order a seat cowl.Bragging ,no I....hey wait a minute ,I may hold a record here, let me post a poll!!

Last edited by blackkaw; 04-27-2002 at 06:50 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: another rear tire SHOT!

Quote:
Originally posted by blackkaw
...In one year Ive gone through 3 rear and 1 front for a total 11,340 mi.at least it held air to get me to the shop!
I feel yer pain dude.

I went through 5 rears last year due to nails and screws. Do you lane-split by any chance? The reason I ask is because someone told me not to lane split anymore, and so far this year -since I stopped splitting thru traffic, I got 6500 miles on a set of tires. They are still beat up from freeway use, but atleast no damn screws.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

wow 5? I feel your pain!! yes I lane split sometimes.although it isn't legal in Fl. I dont have confidence in a patch/plug tire so it 's pay the man or park it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

didn't I read a post about someone getting 6000 mi out of rear tire but it was squared off so badly he could park the bike with the side stand up?

Last edited by blackkaw; 04-27-2002 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode