Liscensing Test - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Liscensing Test

My 2002 R6 will be showing up at my house on Monday. That same night I am going be trying to get a walk-in registration for an MSF course at one of the local community colleges. Their are two courses scheduled for the same time, big class, so hopefully a few people don't show, and I can get in. I'm really thinking that this won't happen because in the Chicago area, these classes are full by the second day of allowed registration. Because of this, I will probably have to go an take the skills test at the Drivers Liscense place. In Illinois they use the ALMOST test. I've heard that this test is impossible to pass on a sportbike. It's supposed to be easy, except for the cone weave and the u-turn. Am I just hearing rumors, or is this the truth. I don't want to be like some of my friends that have been riding for the last three or four years without a liscense, which usually means no insurance as well. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 04:17 AM

cone weaves are fun. U-turns are easy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 05:43 AM

Piece of cake.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 06:01 AM

just be perfect in everything else

they use that same test in Ohio, I believe, and I passed when I took it the first time. The key is to focus, concentrate, and make sure you do everything else perfectly, which isn't too difficult. The U-turn was the most difficult for me, and I actually put a foot down (not enough speed). However, since I was fine through every other portion of the test, I still passed with a score well above the minimum. So just do well through everything else, and that will allow a small mistake through the cones or the U-turn (cones weren't that hard, though).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 10:00 AM

When I moved to Nevada from California 6 years ago, I was required to take a skills test, as California didn't require one when I was originally licensed there. Never mind I have had a motorcycle endorsement from 6 states over the last 28 years

Naturally, I rode my Harley The gal at the DMV asked me with all seriousness, if it was my first bike. I politely smiled and explained the above. She chuckled and directed me out to the parking lot cone section and I did the little drill. I did manage to do the U-Turn at a nice snail's pace with feet on the floorboards (neener-neener I scored 100%, on the other hand that's like being proud of the ability to count by twos )

The "skills" test is a bit of a joke, but the MSF class IS NOT. By all means, take the MSF class, even if you get your license at the DMV. An R-6 is a superb machine with enough smack to get you serious trouble in a hurry. Take the class, then remember to ride within your limits. Read Keith Code's book and hit a track school when you can.

Ride safe and enjoy that nice new machine. I'm envious!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 10:34 AM

I just took the MSF course a couple months ago and the one thing that I walked away from the course was the head turn. It really makes the u-turn and cone weave a lot easier. Basically, do an exagerrated head turn when you want to go in that direction. It feels a little awkward at first, but it really does help with putting the bike in that direction. But definitely take the MSF course. I've been riding for a little while and never had a "lesson". It's definitely been the best thing for me and my bike. Good luck and have fun with the R6.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 11:32 AM

If you do get your license before taking the class please don't do a lot of street riding. Just use the license to get to and from some good practice parking lots or subdivisions. Learning how to physically ride is one thing, learning what to look out for is even more important and where the msf really shines.

You'll do fine on the driving test though if you practice a bit.

One technique I use for u-turns in tight spaces is this:

keep the revs up a bit like 4-5k

drag the rear brake just a little

slip the clutch to get just the right drive and if the bike starts to stand up from too much speed apply just a tad more brake. DO NOT try u-turns with the cluch fully engaged or you'll do the herky jerk due to drive line lash which EVERY bike has.

This may sound weird but works perfectly. I can do full lock circles for ever with this technique. And like the other poster said, look almost 90 degrees in the direction of the turn, it really helps you balance the turn.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 12:03 PM

u-turn

turn your head to the direction you are going... lean the bike and shift your body to the opposite side of the lean... pretty cool how you can make the turn so easily (or easier)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 01:27 PM

Ya That extended lean that msf taught Like for tight u trns .like turning left and leaning to right .. it changes center of gravity in relation to the bike and allows for a tighter turning radius.thats for u turns ,super slow manuevers as far as i know. the head turn really helps cause you go where you look. Plus it looks cool . like you know what your doing!hehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode