Dont think you need to wear a helmet!? Excellent read. Eveyone please! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Dont think you need to wear a helmet!? Excellent read. Eveyone please!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ebike/toc.html

Im writting a paper on helmet laws for my final in English, 10 pages, anyways i found this site. Excellent read, but its scary to read all the facts of how many die from motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Of course you need to wear a helmet. I've seen a guy wind up with a hairline skull fracture falling off a motorcycle that didn't even have the engine running.

(On the other hand, helmet laws bug me in the same way that a law against running with scissors or going out on a cold day without a sweater would. Maybe we could pass one big law that says it's illegal to do anything dumb and/or dangerous... or maybe that wouldn't be such a hot idea after all... )
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 11:56 AM

I believe I have read that falls in the home cause more deaths and injury than anything else. Therefore, helmets should be mandatory in the home as well.

Think of the children.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:02 PM

Quote:
(On the other hand, helmet laws bug me in the same way that a law against running with scissors or going out on a cold day without a sweater would.
People don't really do things like this do they?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM

What about leaving your shoe laces untied?

That looks pretty dangerous to me too.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamara
Of course you need to wear a helmet. I've seen a guy wind up with a hairline skull fracture falling off a motorcycle that didn't even have the engine running.

(On the other hand, helmet laws bug me in the same way that a law against running with scissors or going out on a cold day without a sweater would. Maybe we could pass one big law that says it's illegal to do anything dumb and/or dangerous... or maybe that wouldn't be such a hot idea after all... )
That would piss me off if I got arrested for wearing a T-shirt in October. What if it was warm when I left the house and cooled off later that day? Those COLD steel handcuffs would feel terrible on my already cold arms
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:22 PM

Tell it to the judge.

One small technical point...

The title of this thread asks what I think about wearing helmets. The subject, however, is a government requirement to wear a helmet. Once it is required by law, it doesn't MATTER what I think anymore.

Just thought I'd share that.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:48 PM

If they are going to make it a law in one state they should do it in all states. Kinda takes away from the whole United thing we always go by.
Usa that is
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:54 PM

Not really. It just kind of recognizes the "States" thing.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Approximately 43 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve alcohol.7 A motorcycle requires more skill and coordination to operate than a car. Riding a motorcycle while under the influence of any alcohol significantly decreases an operatorís ability to operate it safely.

DAMN HARLEY RIDERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode