GSF600 to GSXR600 to GSX1300R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

GSF600 to GSXR600 to GSX1300R

With that thread title, I am just waiting to be flamed by the powers that be for being another [email protected] squid. I really am looking for guidance or sympathy. Began riding 19 months ago; started with the Bandit. I have experience in just about anything with an engine, so was anxious to move through the ranks. In high school, I was a private pilot and logged stick time in things from a Cessna 152 to a Sterman with the Red Barrons aero team; even some rotor wing time. Driven things from a Porsche 911 in SCCA to an M1A1 tank. I am used to things that move quickly and leave me with a near vertical learning curve. After reading all the reviews about the Bandit, I figured it to be best choice. Looking back now, I wish I had gotten a SVS. Put a little over 5,000mi on her between October and April. Had to do some time with Uncle Sam over the summer months, so did not touch a bike from May to August. Came home and jumped on chance to get a GSX-R600 in August. Put a little over 3,000mi on her from August to March. Noticing pattern? More days under 50 degrees than over. March, Lady Luck smiled upon me and I found myself with the oppertunity to get a GSX1300R. Did so. Now, about a month, over 1,000mi and 1 track day later, I find myself drueling over a SVS. Does this make sense to anyone? Has any of the older and wiser riders felt this? Despite the weight and power of the 'bus, I did well for my first track day. Suprised many I encountered on the track that that was my first time. And no, it was not based alone on the fact I was on a 'bus. My laps were respectful for a beginner. I am already signed up for another one in May. Does it make sense that I was envious of the 650's and 600's at the track? I am now seriously considering selling the 'bus and getting two smaller bikes; one for track, one for street. The track also taught me just how much more i have to learn about competitive cornering and such. Seems like the bike was capable of things 10x greater than my current expierence level was. Things you can never try on the street with reasonable safety. In all honesty, it seems like getting to 120mph in a couple seconds and a handful of throttle has taken some of the fun from riding and become more of a hazard to myself. I still ride responsibly, helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and nothing stupid when traffic is around. But I spend more time concentrating on the speedometer and tring to keep it relatively legal than just enjoying the fact I am riding. Advice, similar experiences, anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:47 AM

you are not alone. A lot of people have been singing the praises about smaller bikes. More fun at less cost to your wallet and your license. You went the route you're "supposed" to- start small and move up the ranks.

I'm currently lusting after the SV's, supermotards, older CB-1's. I'm an okay rider, but far from great, I think a smaller bike would teach me more and let me explore the limits more, even after 14 years of riding. Especialy reading more than once how much more fun the smaller bike is.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up I couldn't agree more

I just "downsized" myself. I went from a 2000 929RR to a 99 VTR1000. To some this may not sound like much, but the street usable low and mid-range of the twin made so much more sense. I felt I was getting a little too dangerous with the 929- always looking for that top end rush/wheelie. Now I get the same, I just don't have to hit the triple digits to reach it!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:28 AM

Before I get flamed..

I know, I know... a VTR1000 isn't exactly "small bike" category, but I weigh 285lbs and am 6' 03". While that may not exceed the weight limit of the smaller bikes, I find that it is still too much for thier limited suspension when riding more "performance oriented"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

speaking of back-steps...I just found an already track prepped '92 EX500 with a '95 engine for $1000. Sound like a good price? it has me seriously thinking and excited. Track time would probably be so much more fun if i was not constantly worried about wadding a new $$$ bike. Although, I am worried about track time becoming anymore fun...could be serious.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:31 AM

I'd keep the bus for the street and definietly go with the ex (or similar) for track days. If you really get into it you could move up to the sv or a recent 600 for the track in a while after you see if it's something to stick with. Either way you can learn a lot on the ex at the track and obviously it's cheap to get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode