How much does someone size matter in bike purchase - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

How much does someone size matter in bike purchase

I want to get a bike and after reading so many post on this page about the best bikes to get when starting out. I have a question that does not seem to come up much in the topic of a first bike.

I am close to 6'2'' and around 245 pounds. I want a bike that i can pay cash for no need to pay the high rates for insurance with full coverage. So looking for something cheap and decent in a sport bike

So my questions are: What bike is to small for me.

ninja 250 and the 500 how big can you be and ride one of these things. At close to 250 pounds is the bike even able to move. Will it be topping out at like 35 miles per hour while the motor screams "get off me you fat &%#@ " Or will it be ok just to learn on and toss around some corners.

I did read a post that someone said if your larger over 6 feet and over 200 pounds you should look at a 750 or larger.

I did ride a friends fzr older model mid 90's and was way to small.

Not worried so much about performance as comfort and the ability to learn. Just don't want to be going down the interstate and have no power left if I need it.

I guess I will write more if some people reply don't want to give you guys a book to read.

Thanks in advanced for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:12 AM

A ninja 250 might be a bit too small, but you'll be fine on a ninja 500. Of course a bigger bike will propel you quicker, but a 500 will do.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:15 AM

I'm in close to the same boat as you are.

I am 6 foot and weigh about 220 or so. I am a fatass.

I personally went with a 600 for a first bike. It's older, so I paid cash just like you to forget about the full coverage insurance. I plan on probably buying a Ninja ZX9R when I learn to ride WELL. Probably not till next year.

Here is my take on the size issue, as I've been told on here and been told in person. If you weigh around 200, you'll want a 500 or 600 as a starter bike. The 250 will feel very sluggish to you in just a short while. I personally went with a 600 over a 500 because I got a good deal on one in good shape.

I actually asked a salesman which is better. I know normally he would say whichever bike is more expensive is better just to make more money, but I was actually looking at used bikes. The Ninja 250 I was looking at was $1400 bucks, and the Ninja 600 I was looking at was $1450. So the price difference wasn't enough for him to tell me I needed a bigger bike just for him to make more money. I asked him which he would suggest, and he said that for a guy my size, I'd be back as soon as I learned how to ride to get a bigger bike if I bought the 250. I took his word, and got the 600.

One other thing that you'll want to do is actually go sit on them. The 600 felt good to me, the 250, to me, felt like I was sitting on a moped. It just didn't feel very good to me.

Good luck, I'm sure others will have better information that I did, I'm just a newbie and figured I'd let you know what I've been told!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:32 AM

I'm 6ft 215lbs and i ahd an FZR 600. It was an older bike but it still kicked some serious ass. It did get old after awhile and I am currently looking for a newer bigger bike, but I think you will get a good year or two out of a 600. I thought it was a good bike to learn on as long as realize you are learning and take it slow. Just when you think you got it under control she always gives a little more power than before and you can wind up in trouble
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: How much does someone size matter in bike purchase

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroOX
I did read a post that someone said if your larger over 6 feet and over 200 pounds you should look at a 750 or larger.
6'2" 210 holding on for my life on my ZX6R!

any of today's modern sportbikes will be able too lug you around with no problem at all. but with some of the smaller bikes you will want more speed and better acceleration only a couple months into riding. A low-end 600cc bike should do you just fine. then when you feel you need more power and are ready to move up, then think about a sportier 600 or a 750, or if u just want enough power to be able flirt with death constantly, go liter+.

in 5 years or so if this 6R survives that long, I may consider moving up to a 750, but for the time being this 600cc is loads of thrills
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:49 AM

If the 600's feel small to you, consider an order and slower 750 eg. an 10 yr old GSX-R, or a VFR . If you wanted a newer Bike STAY AWAY from the GSX-R's......I wouldn't recommend them to a new rider, and they aren't that comfortable anyways. Perhaps a nice 750 Ninja from Kawi they're large, reliable, and not too extreme.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 10:20 AM

I know how you feel, zeroOX. I'm 6'4" tall and about 225LBS. I felt cramped on every sportbike I sat on. Some were so tight, I could barely get my feet up on the pegs. I was at a Kawasaki dealer checking out a ZX9R when I spotted a red ZR7S a couple bikes down.

I could hardly believe how much better I fit on it compared to "larger displacement" bikes. It is more of a half-faired standard than a sportbike, but I am very happy with it.

Check outwww.zr-7forums.com for more info.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 11:56 AM

ZeroOX -

I am 6' and was 240-250lbs when I started on a Bandit 600S.I had no comfort issues at all. The bike wasn't a rocket but after I figured out what I was doing it wasn't a dud either. I was able to have a pile of fun with it. Kinda like what ZR RIDER says about his ZR7S. I've ridden one of those as well, and they are very comparable bikes. Both bikes can be picked up really cheap and insurance is a joke on them. I paid around 200 bucks a year for full coverage on my Bandit.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I will start looking for a 600 or 750 naked bike. Seems like you guys are happy on them and they do not lack the power. Not going to go with a full blow sport bike untill my skills improve.

Probably will keep away from a 250 or 500 don't want to get bored with it.

Thanks again for the responses
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:39 PM

YZF 600R, more than enough bike for a long time, but still very beginner friendly, and damn its comfortable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode