Longest wheelie?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Longest wheelie??

How long can you wheelie? What was your longest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:42 PM

I can pee farther than I "ride" a wheelie. Most of my wheelie attempts couldn't be considered "riding" one out like on a dirt bike but more like it's up & I'm frantically trying to keep it from looping out from under me. Of course I can only use one hand but that's a "piss" poor excuse
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:11 PM

300 yards. I'm too afraid to loop my only transportation to get really comfortable with the 'balance point' and ride out longer.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:34 AM

Speaking of wheelies..... A few weeks ago, I picked up my 2001 R6 from the dealer after they installed a Yoshimura RS-3 Race slip-on and a Dyno Jet Stage 1 Jet Kit. While riding home, I stopped to fill up my gas tank. Anway, there were two other guys at the gas station on a gixxer 600 and a kawasaki zx-9. We started chatting, and they asked me if I "wheelied?" Well, I told them that I did not know how, and one of the guys told me that all I needed to do was "double pump" the throttle really fast, and it would come up. Well, I tried it using their method, and before I knew it, my front tire was standing straight up in the air!!! Sad to say, I was hooked!! The next day, I rode to a deserted road, and practiced my wheelies. I actually got pretty good at it, and rode one for about 500 yards. Well, after I got back home, I noticed that one of my headlights had blown. Does wheelies cause bubls to blow? Also, can I cause damage to the bike by doing wheelies? I don't want to damage anything on my bike, nor do I want to "loosen" anything up by doing constant wheelies. (hell, I am paranoid as is. I have come to 'trust' my bike, but don't want to void any reliability just to ride a wheelie.) So, I think I am finished with the whole "wheelie" thing. They aren't as fun as dragging my knee or accelerating hard out of a turn anyway But, I don't think I would feel comfortable doing these things if my bike is "shaky" becaue of a wheelie.

Take care all, and ride safe
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:58 AM
Founder

Keep in mind everyone, he went to a deserted road to pratice. So take it easy on him.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:54 AM

Thumbs down What do you think???

Do you think you can repeatedly drop your front end over and over without possible f**king something up. Don't get me wrong wheelies are cool and all. I saw a guy blow his fork seals when he came down once. Wheelies are cool, but if you don't know what you are doing, I have seen everything from ruined chains and sprockets (contstant torque and clutch wheelies) to fried engines. Watch out how you land, get the tire turned slightly and you may get a nasty high-side.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:57 AM

Re: What do you think???

Quote:
Originally posted by FastHawk
Do you think you can repeatedly drop your front end over and over without possible f**king something up. Don't get me wrong wheelies are cool and all. I saw a guy blow his fork seals when he came down once. Wheelies are cool, but if you don't know what you are doing, I have seen everything from ruined chains and sprockets (contstant torque and clutch wheelies) to fried engines. Watch out how you land, get the tire turned slightly and you may get a nasty high-side.
I feel exactly what you are saying. After trying wheelies for a couple of days, I am finished with them. I don't think it is worth the risk of tearing up my bike just to "look cool".
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:45 AM

Why people pull wheelies

It has been my experience- and no offense to anyone out there! That most of the riders who do wheelies and stoppies, do so because they either can't, or are not willing to put in the time to learn how to really be a rider. I'll take draggin' my knee thru an apex over a wheelie any day! That's where the skill really is. Any monkey can pop a clutch or squeeze a front brake lever; And believe me, when you are that good, the only wheelies you will be pulling are the true ones- The Power Wheelie! When a suid asks if I can wheelie, I say yeah, but you'll never see it. and when they ask why? Because when it happens, I'll be smokin' your ass!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:27 AM

FastHawk,
Just curious....why are the two mutually exclusive? Ever see Valentino Rossi or Nicky Hayden ride a victory wheelie after they win a road race? Was that wheelie to compensate for the fact that they didn't drag their knee well enough during the race? What about the guys that win races without dragging knees? There are some, you know.
The group of guys that I ride with...me included.....ride wheelies. Only where it's safe, of course. Sometimes at track days that we put on, we even play around like that on the track. We also road race and all of us can drag our knees. That's no big deal. One of our guys had a Bandit 1200S with rear sets , and he actually dragged the engine cases. None of it is really any big deal when you know how to do it.
It seems to me that when it comes to wheelies, those that can, do and those that can't...well, they bitch about those that do. There is nothing at all wrong with people that don't ride wheelies. There is nothing wrong with those that do, either. Now if they are riding stunts in places where it's unsafe to do so, populated areas, traffic, kids playing, etc....then they have a problem. Everything has it's place and time. And, learning to safely do any of these things will also teach you someting about bike control and improve your skills overall.
So...you might smoke me, or any of my friends while doing a wheelie we can't see out of a corner exit...I'm not saying you can't. We've all been beaten by a lot of people. There's really only one way to know and that's go to the track and find out. But in the long run, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that everyone is doing what they like to do in the safest possible environment and to the best of their personal capabilities.
So people like to do one thing, some like to do another, that's all. And....some like to do all of it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:40 AM

Sorry!

As i said, I did not want to offend anyone, the point I am trying to make, is that at least in my opinion- it seems that too many unexperienced riders, and guys with no skills are popping wheelies, and as you said endangering themselves, and others. (I am in no way directing that at any specific person) I fully agree that everything- including wheelies- has a proper time and place. Hell, I like to lift one myself now and again. My point was that a focus on learning to control the bike you ride should be priority one, and the wheelies will follow naturally. I kinda let personal experiences influence my reply, but I am damn tired of 18y-old squids pulling up to me and asking if I pull wheelies- only to see them turn into specs on my rearviews at the first set of corners. I just more appreciate the skills you described you and your friends display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode