used or new? (first bike) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

used or new? (first bike)

My first bike was a Yamaha YZ125 and I learned quick and have been riding for 2 years..I love the thing! well now me and some buds are going to get street bikes. My gramps "Harley Rider" never like buying used cause you don't know who beat the crap out of it and how much $$ you will have to put in. I am going to take some courses on riding before I hit the streets. I was thinking of getting a new Yamaha R6 ? or should I look into a later year used bike? If you have any questions just let me know... thanks

Last edited by spongeYZ; 04-18-2002 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:06 PM

I'm guessing you got the term "crotch rocket" from Gramps. Remove it from your vocabulary immediately.
I will leave it to the capable users of this forum to inform you that buying a new R1 as a first street bike is asinine.

Last edited by Tristan; 04-18-2002 at 03:31 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

yeah it shows how much of a rook i am.. i meant a R6 not a R1.. I edited that

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:33 PM

Ok, an R6 is less asinine. Buy used.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:44 PM

WELL used like 97 ish is a good place to look. Save 4-5 grand and get a new bike in 1-2 years after getting most of your money back out of the first bike even though you dropped it a couple times.

Gramps is worried because Harleys don't hold up very well. Japanese bikes that run well on a test ride and look like they're solid, most likely are solid. Not that a used bike won't need some maint., just not enough to justify buying new.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:58 PM

Apex has it put down quite well.

You should know enough about normal wear (chains, sprockets, fork seals, etc) so look into a good used bike of around '97.
Out amongst the cage drivers it is a different world & so is the terrain even though it is sort of paved PLUS speed becomes a factor is staying upright at the starting stab into this line of bike.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 04:05 PM

Exclamation

There's a common myth going on that a supersport class 600cc bike is a good starter bike

Anybody who starts on the street on a GSXR-600, F4i, ZX-6R, or R6 is begging for the reaper! I'm not rippin on ya man, it's just that I commonly hear that it's OK for beginning street riders to start on a 600 SS.

The bottom line is: 600's are in the same general classification as superbikes on the street. Under 100 mph it's a little hard to seperate a 600 from the superbikes for performance and acceleration. The 600's nowadays are too powerful and at 357-390 lbs. dry weight, they are way too wheelie prone for a new street rider.

Start off with something used in the street class. After 2000 miles of sucessful travel, then consider a 600. Avoid the R6 and GSX-R. The Kawi ZX-6R and F4i are more user friendly..

Take Care and be safe
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

so ya guys think i'll really drop it huh? well...i'll start looking for a used bike then
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

dangit i really want a new bike!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:51 PM

Well get one if you can afford it. Just don't expect it to be pristine in a year. We're not saying not to get one. Just why learn on a full price bike. You make the decision based on your budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode