Coolest commute? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Coolest commute?

Riding Foothills Parkway with my roommate last night, we stopped at the far side overlooking the lake. For those of you unfamiliar with Deal's Gap, this is right at the foot of the Gap. I pointed that out to my roomie, who was all stoked at his new-found proximity to this semi-legendary stretch of asphalt.

I hit upon a plan.

"I could get a job at the gas station on the other side of the Gap! I'd have the world's coolest bike commute! I'd be riding the Gap twice a day; no one would be able to touch me!"

I calmed down after being reminded that working in a Gas 'n' Go wouldn't finance much in the way of bike stuff.

Anyone else plan their commute around good riding roads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:46 AM

No but I like the way you're thinking!!!

Commute the gap twice a day, ought to be worth a big pay cut since you'll be so happy. Won't care if you're poor as long as you can keep the bike in new tires every 4 mnths or so.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:13 AM

My commute is out the kitchen door, 23 paces across the driveway and into my office in the shop Really tough to get the tires warmed up. Now, I DO plan errands around the best routes and with the limited population here, there's rarely any traffic to speak of.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
my garage is in the foothills, never commute, always ride to go nowhere.

plus if you worked at the other side of the gap, po-po would be waiting for you at the beginning and end of every shift.

sorry, i couldn't resist, i saw your post about 5 of them waiting for you a few days ago.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:40 AM

PO PO

HA i finally get it, actually i plan my commute, hoping to find the highest paying job, so i can get a bike.......
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I'll admit to...

...arranging my daily commute to take in Buford Dam Road back when I still lived in Atlanta; especially after it was freshly paved.

Hmmm. Let's see if'n I can remember...

Sweeper right, really fast sweeper left, sweeper right, sweeper left, sweeper right, hard 90* left, gentle right, WFO across the top of the dam, hard left, sweeper right, sweeper left, esses and out.

Any North Atlantans tell me if I remember that right?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:41 PM

Hwy 95 between Knoxville and the East TN Technology Park(formerly K-25... home of Eastern half of the Manhattan Project) is a very fun road and many try their best to hit that on any trip or commute possible.

When I worked at our "other" office, I always took the long road home since it was curvy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:27 AM

When it pays to be a cop

Last summer a guy I know from some bike meets told me a story from his previous weekend at the Gap.

Started talking to another rider. Turns out the guy was a local "Po-Po" (see words I hate thread ). The guy had quite his job with another dept in the mid-West. Moved to TN and gotten a job with a local dept down there. Best of both worlds. Gets to ride The Gap when he wants, knows when the patrols are out and I doubt gets any tickets!

The benefits of job mobility.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:13 PM

Talking

Every direction I go it's all twisty with lots of elevation changes. You'd only like my drive if you could stand wheelys, hard corners, jumps and no police.

Try it...........You'll like it!

Last edited by Grok; 04-18-2002 at 09:22 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 05:10 PM

Here is a map of my town. We usually hang out at the S curve so if you are ever here, just ask someone where the S curve is.

.... my area sucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode