I am retarded - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I am retarded

Alright, well I am retarded. I dumped my first bike. The good news is that I did expect that I would dump this bike as it is my first bike. I found that I really need gloves too. Here's the situation.

I'm making a left hand turn on a road. I see a car coming the opposite direction. I figured that I could make the turn in time. The car was going a lot faster than I expected and being the retard I am I twisted the throttle more to go faster. That had me end up in some gravel and from that moment I realized I was going to fall.

Lessons I've learned. Don't hit the throttle hard when turning like I did. Buy and wear gloves. Jackets help lots.

Stuff that's broken. The bike is an 84 Kawasaki GPZ 550. I broke my foot peg, my mirror and scraped up my front fairing. All in all not too bad.

Ohh yeah and the bright side to all of this, I have no fear of falling over on a bike now. Not saying I'd like to do it again though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:28 PM

First off glad to hear you are OK. As for the bike it can be fixed. Look on Ebay for parts. Skin is nice to have isn't it Gloves are cool. Just picking on ya. Hope you get back on two wheels soon.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:41 PM

sorry to hear you fell, glad to hear your ok

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:56 PM

It happens...don't sweat it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:05 PM

To you & other such IDIOTS like you------

-------may I welcome you to this SPECIAL Club ------ we are the slow learners. LOL
All kidding aside, I am pleased that you made it through WITHOUT a major injury & the bike is not that bad.
Sometimes it takes time for things to sink in & make sense to us, but what the 'ell that is part of m/cing be it in how you handled the bike to what you wear when riding FOR so many of us have made the same mistakes. FORTUNATELY there was no such thing a computers let alone m/bs like this one, so I was able to keep these errors to myself. It takes GUTS to admit your foolish doings & I compliment you for not only that, BUT for the fact of admitting error in handeling of the bike, riding gear, etc.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:28 PM

just to say i fear falling ,i have done it . it hurts .it is embarassing when you do something stupid. and least of all you could end up DEAD. get some lessons ! brains are for more than holding your helmet on . not to rag but that shit hurts. cages hitting you at 40 mph can be deadly it happened to me .but i think i got lucky because i had some bmx free style skills that i reacted on that kept me from getting squashed. after that crash i sought out msf courses.

bouncing baby hawk gt grew into wheel standing maniac
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 05:46 PM

Sorry to hear of your dumping. Yes it happens to all bikers at sometime or another. For the lucky ones it happens on an older bike that they havent invested a whole lot of $$$ on. But the best part of this situation, asdide from walking away is that you do learn alot about what you can do and what you cant do. Those last few seconds before you hit the ground usually stay in your mind for a long time.

Get yourself some proper riding gear. Gloves are important. But also get a good jacket, pants and boots. You can usually tell a newer rider when they pull up on a nice bike with a nice helmet and a pair of street shoes. (I admit that I was there once before and I also have the road rash scars from the lack of proper pants too.

Make sure you learn from your mistakes. Get the gear...! Btw... there is nothing better then getting a set of leather and having them break-in perfectly for your personal fit.

Miguel
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 05:48 PM

Oooops! Dont be a squid and get the proper riding attaire. Save some skin and alot of pain.

Miguel
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:27 PM

They say...

...there are two kinds of riders.

You've just become one of the second kind. Welcome to the club.

(P.S. A healthy fear of falling may not be all that bad of a thing to have. I know I'm pretty scared of it; that, and the front bumpers of cars. )
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:24 PM

I was a lucky entry into this esteemed club this weekend. 2 years of riding and this was my first unplanned dismount. Took a turn too hot at Putnam Park, atleast too hot for me, target fixated, and left the track on two wheels. Luckily, it had been raining for several days, so the ground was a swamp. Held it up until i hit a rut and lost it. Was thrown off. In the end, i came into the pits looking like a dirtbike rider, had one swelling lump on the shin from hitting the tank, and not a scratch on the bike. After i polished her this afternoon, she was perfect again. Considering myself very lucky. Funny part is, i survived the soaking wet track during the morning, against the betting odds as i found out later, only to lose it on a dry track. Oh, well. lesson learned. And i am signed up for the next track day in May. yes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode