Anyone here own a dirtbike ? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Anyone here own a dirtbike ?

I am in the process of buying an '83 CR250. It is my first dirtbike and I want to learn everyting there is to know about dirtbike repair. I'm looking for sites and forums as good or almost as good as sportbike world. Anyone know of some? Also for those of you who do have a dirt bike, what do you have? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:33 PM

2k2 yz 125
2k kx 250
97 ktm 360 (stupidly fast)

Best bet is to find a service manual, or the original instruction manual. The manual for my new YZ has anything you could possibly want to know, including numbered pictures with step by step instructions for EVERYTHING on the bike. I could literally dissassemble the bike and put it back together using the instruction manual that came with the bike. Plus it lists problem areas, areas with more wear, what to look for, and when to replace things, i.e. everyride, 2 rides, 3-4 rides, race.

tom
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:51 PM

I have an XR250R now. I rode CR250R's for years. That's a peaky little bike you're getting there. It'll surprise you. Dirt bikes are great to tune your street riding skills. Good to practice wheelies on, too. Have fun.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:41 AM

www.dirtrider.net

No site is as good as sportbike world but dirtrider is pretty good.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:59 AM

You want to talk to a good mechanic go to Sage's home He can get you the goods you'll need. Just tell him I sent ya.

I was out on my CR125 this past weekend ripping up the dirt, running over rattle snakes, scaring Elk (by accident) Oh yeah!! Having a great time... except for this one rock that decided I was having too much of a good time. Now my baby is laid up at the bike hospital getting a transplant on his exhaust. He'll be fine though, he's a trooper. Those CRs take a licking and keep on ticking. Me on the other hand... well I won't be wearing shorts or skirts for a while.

Last edited by hot_rocket78; 04-15-2002 at 10:05 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 11:13 AM

2000 YZ125 and a 1990 CR125.

Dirtbikes are a great way to have fun and learn about sliding the rear (or front), power wheelies out of corners, and all that fun stuff without really worrying about dropping it. They're simple to work on, the first bike I had apart was a '93 KX80 on which I was able to completely assemble the engine with only a Haynes manual to guide me (I didn't have the privilege of taking it apart first, it was a basket-case). Last saturday I just finished building a ramp for my bike, I'm working up the speed a bit, but so far have gotten about 10' air/40' distance off of it. Do yourself a favor and drop a bit of green and buy the gear, at least helmet/goggles/boots/gloves. They've saved my butt more than a few times. Work boots are ok if you're not jumping, combat type boots with a steel shank wouldn't be bad at all.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_rocket78
Me on the other hand... well I won't be wearing shorts or skirts for a while.
Why? Did the Elk get his revenge?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 11:49 AM

lol

Quote:
Originally posted by VFRSQUID

Why? Did the Elk get his revenge?
lol
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:15 PM

I agree with FrankieG... get the gear right away. Your hide is worth the money, TRUST me. Right now you'll be able to find killer deals on the 2001 stuff. You can even find some decent stuff on, yes, E-bay. What ever you do, don't buy Fox pants or gloves. They don't last for more than a season. Thank God I didn't pay for the crap. My tip... keep your skin covered... it'll thank you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:22 PM

yea

Whatever you do BUY GEAR, and i highly recomend you buy the best boots possible, preferably with the steel piece. Especially if you plan on riding mx with jumps. Your ankles will thank you as well. Also one overlooked thing. Elbow guards. Dont be completely turned off with fox either, i love my roost guard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode