yzf600r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Cool yzf600r

going to buy bike in 2 weeks and am leaning towards the yzf600r not r6. wanted to hear peoples opinon on the bike as far as performance, comfort and all the other good stuff. i am aware of the 1st - 2nd gear problem but i can get around that. also just curious about the hp and quarter mile times. any info and opinons would be appreciated. im referring to 2002 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:07 PM

Long Live the 600R!

Droff1,

Where to begin??? I have had my '01 YZF600R since October of this year and I love it! It is a great looking bike and is very comfortable as you may have heard. I do not believe anything has changed on the '02 other than minor graphics if anything. It has seen no mechanical or structural changes since 1997. I like to think Yamaha got it right and took the theory of "If it ain't broke...Don't fix it!"

I have not ridden and R6, so I can't compare it to the 600R. However, I have ridden a lot of other bikes from a Ninja 250, EX500, ZX6E, ZX6R, FZR600, Katana 750, SV650S, Superhawk, etc.

The YZF600R is pretty quick! It is not as fast as the race replica's (F4i, ZX6R, GSXR, R6), but it can hold it's own. I went to Firebird Raceway last week, but did not race...perhaps next time. I did see a website that showed the YZF600R running 118.XXmph Qtr's in the 11 second range. I do not have the website handy. From the numbers I saw on this site...It is basically spec on with an Honda F3.

As far as comfort goes....The YZF is the most comfortable bike for most people. The geometry of the bike is set up more for the "real world". I have ridden from Phoenix to Tucson and back and was still ready for more. The total trip was 398 miles and I felt great. I have heard people cruising 600+ a day in comfort. Most of the "newer 600's don't offer that level of comfort, but then again...they are geared to win races...not commute or canyon carve on weekends. The seating position is a little more upright and the wind protection is pretty good for a sportbike.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion and a handful of other things. Since late October I have ridden 8000+ miles and have had no troubles or complaints yet....Well ok just one. I rode a VRT1000 recently and was spoiled by the power. I took my wife for a ride and I was kinda wanting more power, but I'm sure if I never rode the Superhawk I would have been fine.

The bike is a little on the heavy side (482 lbs.). Im sure I could ride through the canyons a little quicker on an R6, but half the fun is outrunning the lighter and better handling bikes. you'll get an even bigger smile when you have your helmet off first

A few other thoughts....sorry for the length, but I really like the bike and if you are gonna drop 7K on a bike you might want all the details you can get.

Fuel: about 200 miles per 5 gallon tank

Not as many aftermarket parts like R6 and R1
Don't worry about the gear shifting between 1st and 2nd...if you actually shift properly and firmly while your wringing its neck...it won't happen...I've had it happen about 5 times, but it was my fault not the bike.

Insurance: I'm 27 with no tickets and pay $55 per month full coverage..I hear the R6 is cheaper...Strange! Nationwide Insurance will cover an R6, but not a YZF600R...There underwriters are sleeping on the job.

Other riders may bag on you because you don't have the fastest bike out there, but you can revel in the fact that you probably don't have the same bike as everyone else either. The YZF600 is passed over on the showroom floors for the R6 and R1. If you are or become a proficient rider...you'll be outrunning your buddies in the twisties before you know it!

Ok..Im gonna stop because all the non YZF believers might start bagging on me!

Im 5' 10" and weigh 170lbs and the bike will wheelie and pull pretty darn hard. 88.7 HP I believe is the number.

Go sit on them...Find a used one to test ride out of the paper...It will be the same as a 2002.

If you have any other questions let me know...I'll be happy to help with anything else you may want to know.

Good Luck shopping!

YZFJeff
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:53 PM

Everything YZFJeff says is the truth. You can't go wrong with the 600R. It's an awesome bike. I've had my 97' for 3 years and every time I get the urge to get something different, I just can't get rid of it. Looked at the R6 and R1 but I really think the 600R has a sexier profile than either.

My vote is - go for it!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: yzf600r

Quote:
Originally posted by droff1
going to buy bike in 2 weeks and am leaning towards the yzf600r not r6. wanted to hear peoples opinon on the bike as far as performance, comfort and all the other good stuff
Good choice, if people bag on ya it's cause they are trying to compensate for other areas of their lives. This was a TOP of the line 600 racer just 5 years ago.

Performance, less but more than enough if your other choices are also 600's.

Comfort, much more than the other 600's

Overall, great bike which isn't the newest or greatest tech but 5 years ago they knew what they were doing too. Save a bunch by not demanding the current ultimate in performance. And you will be much more comfortable riding long distances to get to the good roads which you have to do coming from Euless. They're 250 miles north east os south west. Been there.

Welcome
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:21 AM

Jeff fed you a lot of good info.

I bought mine in '97 & being an old sod at m/cing (never had less then 2 m/cs) I also have a Honda 929 of '00.
As for wt & handeling ---- let me point out that this is the lst bike out in the Spring (to battle against salt/sand all over the roads along with pot holes, etc) & will be so for several weeks, same when it comes to putting the bikes away in it being the last to go into the garage.
In all honesty I cannot notice the wt of the 600 for the longer wheel base & such on the 929 makes it feel heavier & more awkward to handle at slower speeds.
Brakes on this bike are simply mind boggling & yes as good to probably better then on the 929. Cog box/clutch seems okay to me as it has never given me any problems or missing shifts, etc.
Last spring I was scooting up a steep hill on Hwy 97 & was down in 4th letting the bike rev a bit, thought about passing 4 vehicles up ahead, but backed off as I knew I would be going quite fast when I cut in front of them (at a 60kph part of the hwy) for a left turn off the hwy, so I simply did not do the above FORTUNATELY for a cop had clocked me doing 179KPH on a 90KPH hwy. So while the bike might lack a bit in top end really it is quite good.
Riding position is very comfortable & acceptable for short to long runs.
At the gym some of the chaps ask if I was only allowed to have one bike they feel it is the 929 but are wrong for I would hang onto the 600!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:26 AM

Missed one little part.

That bit of scooting up the steep hwy is usually done in 5th & again I usually clock along at 180kph or higher, but as I said I was letting the engine have revs a bit higher to do it some good. Obviously the bike has good torque & THIS is one of the reason I purchased it, in being the best mid rev engine on the market in '97.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode