Immortal - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Immortal

One thing I loved when I first started riding sportbikes was the feel of immortality. Bound by nothing but the laws of physics, a ride in the mountains was an exhilarating thing. Heck, with a bike, the commute to work could even be something of transcendental joy. Nothing better than bopping in to work on a Monday morning all smiles because you just hopped off your bike.

I worked hard on my skills, progressing over time from an í81 GPz550 to an í85 VF700F and finally (after a detour or two) to a í95 RF600R. I rode every day; rain or shine, winter or summer, a bike was my only transportation. By 1999, my commute extended to 100 miles per day in the saddle, split evenly between superslabs, city traffic, and every winding two-lane I could squeeze into my daily trek. I had a couple spills, both in rainy weather, and I learned my lessons from them; cheaply, too, since the first involved nothing more than a bloody knee and the second a broken rib and thumb (Bikes, however, tend to get off light from sliding on greasy asphalt. Both times the rider cost more to repair than the ride.) The more and more I learned from my daily jousts with weather, winding roads, and woefully inattentive cagers, the more immortal I got.

By the time I had 37,000 miles under the tires of the RF, I was at the peak of my daily rider skills; I was truly immortal. Wolf Pen Gap and the North Georgia Mountains? Not a problem, I was fast and safe. The daily grind in rush-hour traffic on I-85? Likewise. Freezing wind? Dodging 18-wheelers in 3 AM sleet? I could do it in my sleep. And then it happened.

The first really good riding day of the summer, I got off the freeway a few exits earlier than usual to enjoy a balmy June ride on sun-dappled streets. On arrow-straight, tabletop-flat pavement seven lanes wide, as the only vehicle moving on that stretch of road, on a summer day at high noon with not a cloud in the sky, I was cleaned off my bike at a mere 45 mph by a Camry pulling out of a driveway, while the driver was looking right at me on my pink-and-blue Suzuki. They had to string the bits of my shinbone onto a steel rod like add-a-beads.

It was his fault, and he admitted it in traffic court. After a summer in a wheelchair, his insurance settled out of court. I no longer rely on just a bike for transportation, since the driver bought me a nice BMW ragtop. I did, of course, buy another bike; a Suzuki TL1000S, the first new vehicle Iíd ever owned.

I ride it a lot, both with my friends in the mountains and solo, because you can never stop riding. I still love it, too, but I find Iím no longer in the hunt to be first to the top of the mountain. I found that no matter what my skill level is, I donít control the skill level of the other drivers on the road.

And Iím not immortal any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 03:58 PM

Good post, Tamara!

You wanna come down and ride with us in the North Georgia mountains? We would be happy to have you anytime.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:08 PM

Thanks for that post, dude. Enjoy the Beemer.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:22 PM

A long but worthwhile read, thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:17 PM

Cool post.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

Love it!!! Excellent post!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12
Good post, Tamara!

You wanna come down and ride with us in the North Georgia mountains? We would be happy to have you anytime.
I'd love to!

Been a while since I rode the Wolf or did the TWO thing. Route 9 (aka Richard B. Russel Memorial Raceway) between Alpharetta and Dahlonega hasn't heard my exhaust in too long, as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:50 PM

Cool...just hit me on my e-mail [email protected] when you want to come down...we'll set something up. Hey, why don't you try to make it down for The Big Kahuna at Road Atlanta in May? There's going to be a bunch of the gang there (North Georgia Hooligan Association) for all 3 days, and we'll be doing rideouts into the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode