Extending Swing arm? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Extending Swing arm?

What is the purpose of some people extending the swingarm on a bike. I am looking to get a bike so have to get something inexpensive for my first bike. Knowing I need to learn and will probably drop it.

I am looking through the bike trader and have come accross a few bikes with extended swing arms... What does this do besides just make the bike look different.

I have been looking through this site for a month or two and have not heard anyone mention why people do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:38 PM

When done on a real drag bike, it lengthens the wheelbase and helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration.

When on a street bike, it lengthens the wheelbase, increases the turning radius to that of a schoolbus, turns the handling to crap, and indicates that you shouldn't buy it because the previous owner probably thrashed the engine to within an inch of its' life.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I dont think the bikes listed were drag bikes they looked normal besides the longer swing arm.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:55 PM

No, they weren't drag bikes, kinda like those Honda Accords with huge wings on the decklid aren't IMSA sedan racers.

It's part of the drag bike "look", and it seriously degrades handling on the street, but it looks "butch", and real dragbikes have them, and so kids take street sportbikes (whose manufacturers sweated blood trying to shave millimeters off the wheelbase) and put extended swingarms on them because they think it looks cool.

If all you're going to do is drive it up and down main street, one redlight at a time, for money, it's no biggie. It just speaks volumes about the previous owner of the vehicle, like buying a car that has torched springs.

Last edited by Tamara; 04-12-2002 at 12:58 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

so they are Ricer bikes?!?

thats what i thought. i have been looking at this page along with a few other forums for a few months and seem like if it was a good thing to do more people would have been doing it.

Did not realize the rice look was starting to move into sport bikes.

Kinda sad
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:36 PM

What Tamara said. Everyone I know who spent money on ext. also spent money replacing clutches.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamara
When done on a real drag bike, it lengthens the wheelbase and helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration.

When on a street bike, it lengthens the wheelbase, increases the turning radius to that of a schoolbus, turns the handling to crap, and indicates that you shouldn't buy it because the previous owner probably thrashed the engine to within an inch of its' life.
I like this girl

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:03 PM

Re: Extending Swing arm?

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroOX
What is the purpose of some people extending the swingarm on a bike.
To prove the old axiom: with enough time and money, you can screw up anything! Anybody that would butcher a highly engineered/designed sportbike like that oughta be beat within an inch of their life! Guess if you're gonna drag race...maybe, but I'm sure the majority of folks doing it are doing so simply for show. Iff'n I was looking to buy a used bike, I wouldn't go near one with an extended swingarm...

Last edited by basicblur; 04-12-2002 at 03:06 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake

I like this girl
I'll second that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode