The SV650 or the Kawasaki ZR-7s? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

The SV650 or the Kawasaki ZR-7s?

Sorry if this has been talked about before ( I couldn't find much)
but I had to ask you guys
Right now, I'm on a GS500, and even though I have only had it a month or so, after taking a long highway drive up (75mph) and riding with a passanger, I'm not a big fan of the 500cc 2cyl right now
so here is the deal,
if I was to trade my bike in,I did the math out and figured (with Suzuki's promotion right now) that I can get the sv650 for about $10-15 more a month..after seeing that I got all excited
So I think getting the GF to approve the new bike won't be to tough

neways, I was looking around at other bikes and I came up on the zr-7....very nice bike...and its just a bit more than the sv-650 (price wise). It is also a 4cyl bike, which from what I hear should be much smoother on the highway.
I'm looking for a nice cruiser/sport bike. I do a lot of highway driving, but I don't want something to bulky. I see that the zr-7 is 100lbs heavier than the sv650, so is that going to slow me down to much?
I'd like your opinions on both bikes.
Thanks guys
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:35 AM
Retired Moderator

Hi Keith,

The ZR7 is a good allround bike, as you said it's heavier than the SV, with the same power, but less fun factor.
I really enjoy my ZR and I'm more than happy with it. I chose it because it's a simple and reliable engine, and it fits me really well. I tried the SV for size but it's too cramped (I'm 190 m).
To find out more about the ZR7, you could go to www.zr-7.com and http://www.zr-7forums.com/ to see what people who ride it think.
I hope this info is useful to you.

Aris
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:46 AM

I would go with the ZR if you are gonna do more cruising, commuting, two up.

The sv if you're gonna do more twistie carving and solo riding.

From what you say I think the zr is more your style right now. Nice bike too.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:54 AM

Were you looking at a SV 650 or SV 650s?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:39 AM

Did you miss the Bandit 600. It sounds like the Bandit is a good fit and you would be staying with Suzuki if that means anything to you. I like the look of the sv personally and the V twin is just icing on the cake. I think the Bandit has a little stouter suspension for 2 up riding also. Either way the bikes you are looking at are both good
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

damn!! why did u go and do that
eheheh now i have 3 bikes that I'm looking at
the bandit is really nice. Grr.
now, the bandit is a 600cc bike, so do you think I'd lose a decent amount of performance choosing something like this?
decisions decisions
Keith

edit:
ok the bandit is like 120lbs more than the sv650 though, and a smaller engine..I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of that or not. I guess I just have to test drive them to get a feel....the bandit is realllly pretty though I love the way it looks.
Keith

Last edited by Keith; 04-12-2002 at 10:49 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:59 AM
elo

Arrow

As much as I love my SVs, I'm going to go ahead and second what apexismaximus and Aris said. If you do any significant amount of two-up riding, you're not going to be happy with the SV. Mine isn't the greatest on gas mileage either, so touring is a bit more difficult.

As an aside, the Bandit may have a smaller engine by 50cc's than the SV, but it's an inline-4 as opposed to the SV's V-twin, so you're not losing any power.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:34 AM

yea yea what elo said. No really the I4 will lack a little down low but make up for it at highway speeds. Not to mention seating position...the Bandit like the 7s is a little more upright and roomier. I also read rave reviews of the Bandit's wind protection...for a 1/4 faired bike.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

so the bandit would be similar in performance to the SV?
Even though its a smaller engine with more weight..120lbs is a good amount.
Also, what about the handeling?
I'm gonna go test drive them tomorrow to see what it feels like, but thanks for ur responses..keep them coming
If the SV owners are saying its not so great as a passanger bike...I think that leaves just the bandit and the zr-7.
Now the zr-7 is like 150 more than the bandit but it has a 740cc engine, compared to the 600cc. It also weighs the same..so it must be quicker. Only thing that sux about the Kawasaki is that its a 5 speed...I like my 6 speed
Keith
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:16 PM

Neither of those will be a big improvement in 2-up riding. I suggest a YZF 600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode