Riding 2 Up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Riding 2 Up

I've had a license for 2 and a half years now but haven't done much riding since last fall when I finally got a bike of my own. Being springtime now and all the girlfriend has been buggin me for a ride but I keep telling her to wait. So questions now are what do you guys recommend as a reasonable time to wait before going two up, and anything I should know about actually doing it? (i.e what are the passengers responsibility's? sit still or just kinda do what I do? ) Anyway, I wanna make sure it's safe so I'm not risking anyone else's life. Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:53 AM

Riding two up is really just a confidence issue. Have your girlfriend follow whatever you do...the biggest thing is that she be aware of the natural tendencies that many passengers have toward "counter leaning" New people generally do this because they start to feel uncomfortable leaning over too far so they counter it. Let her know not do that and to try to stay still at the really low speeds until you get comfortable with the way it feels to have the extra weight and different center of gravity. The question is really how comfortable you are with your riding skills..not so much how long you should wait before taking a passenger. It's not that big of a deal, though. You'll see. Just try it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:16 AM

The wait can differ. It all depends on your comfortability level. My wife didn't understand why I just didn't take her for a ride. She now has her own bike and understands. The extra weight will make a difference. You may not notice at first, but the more you get used to your bike, you'll feel a difference in the response. When I first took my wife for a ride, it was like, wow... a little more heavy. That was about 6 months ago. Recently when I took her for a ride (no resetting of preload/rear shock) I felt the front end wanting to lift up and not grabbing as much as when I was on it by myself. It was only for a short hop, but I was extra careful with her on it. Just get comfortable on the bike first before you start taking on passengers. Couple of things though if you're going to ride 2 up.

1) Get her proper gear. Helmet, gloves, riding jacket, ankle-high boots, etc.
2) Sit in the driveway a while and get a feel for the extra weight. You may want to adjust the preload and rear shock for long distance riding
3) Practice by going around the block or in a parking lot until you feel comfortable.
4) Don't take off too fast or she'll fall off
5) You'll probably need to use a little more throttle with her on. Depending on what type of bike you have.

Her responsibilities?
1) Hold on tight (not enough to suffocate you though)
2) Which ever way you look and lean, she should do the same exact thing. Don't try to lean the other way (counterbalance) even though she thinks the bike will fall over. It may cause the back wheel to come around and you'll lose control. Trust the bike.
In taking corners, it's best that she leans into your back for a good center of gravity. There's a big difference in cornering if she's leaning into you than if she's sitting straight up.
3) Don't shake too much or adjust her seating position from one side to another. It's possible that she can adjust her seating if she uses BOTH feet on the pegs to keep everything centered when you're riding, but it's best when you're stopped. Kinda like standing up a little.
4) This is important! When coming to a stop, have her brace herself (with her arms and legs) against you or to hold on to the luggage racks so she doesn't slide into you when you're coming to a stop. That HURTS! Unless you're wearing a cup.
5) She can also help by using hand signals to people behind so they know which way you're turning.

Hope this helps. If I think of anymore, I'll post another.

Ride Safe,

OP

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:27 AM

I have'nt been riding long either. Of course just start off slow, and when coming up to a stop, my girlfriend puts her hands against/on the tank to brace herself, and this keeps her on the back seat.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Purp
[B

Her responsibilities?

4) This is important! When coming to a stop, have her brace herself (with her arms and legs) against you or to hold on to the luggage racks so she doesn't slide into you when you're coming to a stop. That HURTS! Unless you're wearing a cup.

OP [/B]
Another trick on a sportbike, is to have her place her hands
on the back of the gas tank (reach around you) when you
stop to prevent her from sliding into you, this also works real well.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:53 AM

This has already been said, But it is worth repeating.

Be carful and take it slow, don't get in a hurry, we all hate to hear about anyone crashing whether it is their fault or not.

Have fun, Hope it all goes well

Travis
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:01 PM

Good advice so far. I would add that it's a good idea to duck your head forward a little when you come to a stop. Most likely even if she supports her body, her head might come forward and knock helmets.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't let my wife ride until I felt that I could ride instintively, meaning if the unexpected happened I could handle it smoothly. Just a couple other things. Make sure she has good gear - all the normal stuff plus if she doesn't want leather pants (grrroooowwwwl) then at least get her Draggin Jeans. The only other things I haven't read previously is to make sure she gets in the habit of mounting and dismounting away from the muffler since it gets realy hot really fast, and lastly quick shifting can make a ride smoother for a passenger, and avoid the unexpected helmet clunk! Good luck - tell her to be patient, it's for her own safety.

p.s. Most if not all Corbin seats come with a detachable backrest. Gives her a little confidence that she won't call off backwards and keeps her from wearing down your wrists and shoulders when you brake and downshift.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:09 PM

Riding 2 up

I agree with what has been said above in the posts. Also, you may want to get signals between the two of you before she gets on for easier communication. Such as, when coming to a stop, make sure you are either in neutral or have both feet down before she tries to get off, a jerk of the head to the left signals my passenger it okay to get off. When you are in traffic and may need to stop, putting your hand on her knee or hands if they are wrapped around you and pulling it tighter to you, should indicate to hold on tighter, I do this when I may be taking off or may have to stop sudden. Depending on what kind of bike you have, the bike may need more gas to keep the rpms higher, this is what I have to do when carrying a passenger. My daughter likes to sight see, I can feel it when she is looking from side to side, the wind flow changes. I take her knee and pull it tighter into me and she knows to sit still. That is another difference you will need to be aware of, wind flow will change, my helmet goes all over the place with a passenger on the bike. I guess that is called building neck muscles!

Know your bike, know you abilities, and communication between you two when riding is helpful.

P.S. If she bugs you that much to want to ride, get her to take the MSF course so she can have her own bike.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:27 PM

I always tell my passengers to sit there like a sack of potatoes. Non-riders can get confused when leaning. If they think of themselves as dead weight then they will automatically lean when the bike does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode