VERY bad idea!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Angry VERY bad idea!!

I recently moved from Mass. to Georgia and my solution for getting everything down here was renting a Uhaul with a car trailer. I put my bike in the uhaul along with all my stuff and my car on the trailer and drove down. That really isn't the most interesting part of it though. The interesting part is my bright idea of putting the bike in the back of the uhaul. Well, more importantly how I was going to get the bike into the uhaul. So here goes.

I start my bike, let it warm up a little and drive the bike around my apartment complex in order to set up to drive the bike up the ramp of the Uhaul and into the back of the truck. So without any gear I do this. I start riding the bike up the ramp of the truck and about half way up I realize I am going a little too slow and have to speed up or I am going to topple over off the ramp and seriously **** me and my bike up. So at that exact moment I let the clutch out a little too fast and probably gave the bike a little too much gas.

The result? Well the front tire pops up in the air (this being my officially first wheelie) and my handlebars are about shoulder high. When this happens my right hand must have rolled on the gas even more and the bike launched into the back of the uhaul and sticks itself completely vertical in the far left corner of the truck. I can't even begin to explain how fast the whole thing happened, but as I limped away from bike I wished for those 3 seconds or less to be taken back in a way that I never have before.

My buddy, who watched me do the whole thing asks if I am ok, to which I reply yes. We then get the bike down from its vertical position and look it over. Here is a list of what I broke : the tail section, the license plate holder, the left front signal, the left front air intake piece of plastic, the left front side view mirror, and the side fairings seem to have come apart at the bottom of the bike.

Damage to me: my left front knee has a large bruise, by left shin has a little bit smaller bruise, my right big toe is all different shades of ugly colors, and I am just generally sore all over. I guess when I think about it the whole thing could have gone much worse, but at the time I was crushed. Hopefully I will be back on the bike soon and that will be my one fall. My advice to everyone in case they didn't already know it, push your bike up the ramp of a Uhaul truck, don't ride it up!!!

Ride safe,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:27 AM

Don't feel too bad. I know that you are not the first person to do something like that. I was watching Real TV the other day. Some guy rode his bike onto the back of his truck. At some point he gassed it too much and ran right into his rear window, shattering it. I think he also damaged his bike and hurt himself. At least you don't have damage to the truck to pay for.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:29 AM
Pete

Dave, how's your sense of humor? Are you mentally "over" having made such a mistake? I just need to know if it is safe for me to start laughing without offense, because holding it in is killing me!!!

This one definitely wins top honors in that old SBW thread about "the most embarassing thing you've ever done" thread.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse, seriously.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:43 AM
elo

Talking

I have to agree with Pete on this one. I just wish you had a video running, or at least a pic of the bike wedged in the corner of a U-Haul. Just think of all the space you could have saved if you'd left it in that position!

I'm glad you're not more hurt though!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Dave, how's your sense of humor? Are you mentally "over" having made such a mistake? I just need to know if it is safe for me to start laughing without offense, because holding it in is killing me!!!

This one definitely wins top honors in that old SBW thread about "the most embarassing thing you've ever done" thread.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

I gotta side with Pete on this one....
I started laughing to myself until I got to
the part where you started talking about
damaging the bike....and yourself.
As you say, it could have been worse.
Hope you can get everything fixed up allright.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:00 AM

Sheesh.....by the time I wrote that & then walked
away for 3 minutes before I hit submit, everyone
copied me almost verbatum...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:38 AM
PJ1

fotobw: At least you hit the ramp! I watched a friend miss the ramp all together and stick his bike into the tailgate of his pickup and fly heels over head and land on his back in the bed of the truck. So, look on the bright side of things, at least it was a rental.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:09 AM

Just think how much you could have made on those, "You've been framed" type programs. At least enough to cover the damage.

Glad you're alright though.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:57 AM

Sorry to hear about you and your bike, dude. It happens to everybody. We all do one thing dumb with our bikes. This one time, my buddy thought if he put his FZR up on his swing arm stand, started his motor, put it in gear, that he could oil the chain better. Well, everything went ok until he decided to sit down with his legs under the bike to spray the lube into the chain. When he got his legs under the bike, his mother came out and leaned over the back of the bike to see how he was doing. The bike kicked off the stand, ran both his legs over, and fell against his dad's truck. His legs had tire rash, but his ego was smashed because we were all standing there watching. So don't worry, people do dumber things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode