Oh My GOd, Someone Help Me From Gettting Ripped OFF! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh My GOd, Someone Help Me From Gettting Ripped OFF!

i went to la cycle sports yeasterday and they had $4995 for a new sv650 suzuki and that's an INCREDIBLE price. anyways, we get into the office again and dude was like "yeah, freight, tax, license and all that... uh... $6155" and i was like "waaaaaaaaaait a second there buddy."

he obviously knew that i had never done that before and my mom just wanted to sign on the line and get out before she really realizes that i just bought a MOTORCYCLE!

anyways, i say something like "wait a minute, i don't think freight and all that should cost that much" and then he just did his whole "blah blah blah 234523452345 blah blah" dealer thing and we left. we couldn't get finanaced anyways, so we left. but we're gonna go and buy it probably in 2 weeks and i wanna know if it's really that much for all that stuff!

oh, if you have a good way for me to say it too, cause i don't really wanna say "uh, some guy in a forum said it shouldn't be that much" i'd really appretiate it.

this is a great example of how the internet's free exchange of ideas and experience can save me from being ripped off by this dude.

oh yeah, i don't really know if he's ripping me off. maybe it really IS that much. thank you.

-g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:38 PM

MSRP is 5799, you can get it out the door for 4700. Out the door is Tax,Tag,Title included. Dealer prep fee's and freight is just money your giving him. This is the dead season for bike sales and they practicly give them away unless there 2002's. Find a 2001, Im sure there are plenty around.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:40 PM

Grubburg,

I don't know all of the things that the dealer really has to do regarding freight and setup, but you are going to have to pay state sales tax and license fees. There is no way around that unless you live in Las Vegas.

I went thru a similar exhange with a dealer in Ohio about 6 years ago and I suppose it is a similar situation. They tagged a brand new1993 Honda XR250L $2600. When we sat down, the price all of the sudden became $3600. Talk about sticker shock!

Well after about 2 hours are bargaining and telling the guy he was nuts...I ended up paying $3028 OTD. They tried sending the manager in to explain it to me, but I just held my ground. They even tried to tell me they mis-marked the bike. It was hilarious. After that attempt they then called it "setup charges"....They tried every angle trying to win and screw me.

My advice is to hold your ground. Take the price....add tax (whatever it is where you live). Add $100 for plates and tell them that is what you'll pay. Maybe you'll even giv'em an extra $100 for the sales guy or whatever you want to have some room to bargain, but don't let them rape you on it.

If that fails....just tell them you'll find another bike at another dealer and thank them for your time. You'll find a better deal out there...Just be patient and keep looking. You'll be glad you did.

Regarding how to say it to them....Just sit back...relax... and act like Dirty Harry and tell them what they are going to deliver it for.

Sorry for the book, but I hope this helps you find your bike at YOUR PRICE!

Good Luck!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:44 PM

SV650s are that cheap? wow!

You figure you ARE gonna pay tax regardless at, what 8%
and you're probably gonna pay license at about $50 (rounded)

F' the doc fee
and F' the dealer prep which the dealer is reimbursed for by Suzuki.

good luck

and BTW, tell them to keep the lot boy from rubbing his stinking dirty rag all over your bike when you take delivery! Tell him you'll wash it yourself when you get home. .... rumble rumble Bastards!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:46 PM

I got my 2001 zx-9r in june for 9500 out the door with a helmet in FL. MSRP was 10299
I got boned, there's people on this site that paid between 8-8500 for the same bike.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:47 PM

Ya, what Zoom said (he hit submit before me )

Here's another idea which worked for a buddies dad at Toyota....

Go in there with a check written out for the exact price you're willing to pay OTD. Put it on the desk and let them know to either take the check or decline the sale.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon
MSRP is 5799, you can get it out the door for 4700. Out the door is Tax,Tag,Title included.
Sounds rather low. Where are you getting this info?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

Sounds rather low. Where are you getting this info?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/sp...et/fs_haya.htm

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
SV650s are that cheap? wow!

You figure you ARE gonna pay tax regardless at, what 8%
and you're probably gonna pay license at about $50 (rounded)

F' the doc fee
and F' the dealer prep which the dealer is reimbursed for by Suzuki.

good luck

and BTW, tell them to keep the lot boy from rubbing his stinking dirty rag all over your bike when you take delivery! Tell him you'll wash it yourself when you get home. .... rumble rumble Bastards!
No sv650's are that cheap, he didn't put in the "s".
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:32 PM

The right Idea

HondaNut has the right idea with the "pre-written check". That is a pretty slick way to do it as well. You'll really feel like you won for sure if they go for it.

But do it exactly that way and only once! Don't come back weekly with a new check They'll have too much fun seeing how high you'll go. They may even wager on how often you'll return and how many Washington's they'll take from you

Also don't let them get control of the situation and start asking you for checks for them to"take to his manager". I had a freind write 6 checks at an Isuzu dealer before he wised up and walked out...Side note....He actually bought his Amigo from a dealer 30 miles away and got it for $300 less than his first rejected check!

You'll do fine!

Do you feel lucky?

Dirty Harry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode