What a "pleasant" surprise from Allstate... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Pete

Angry What a "pleasant" surprise from Allstate...

I absolutely hate to start *another* thread on m/c insurance, but...I just received my m/c policy renewal notice from Allstate. My premium went from about $800/yr for full coverage to $3,200.00, yes, three thousand, two hundred bucks! Phucking bastards! What kinda bullshit is that?!?!

The agent says that it is mostly due to the increase in payouts on high-performance sportbikes, with $300 of it being attributed to one speeding ticket that finally showed up on the DMV report.

Insurance rates are just plain ridiculous here in my county (Harris), supposedly second-highest in the nation. IMO, demographics should play a much larger part in determining rates here, as I'll bet over 90% of those payouts went to riders younger than 25 years of age.

Just venting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:19 AM

You still have a 929 right? I haven't seen it displayed for a while...just the goat tote. Before mine was stolen yesterday I got some quotes for $1200 but that was the best I could do. When I bought it from the dealer they set me up with $1600/yr but that was financed and without a garage. As of today I finally have a garage, and no bike so I can't get the cheaper insurance. I am 25 yrs old also.
3200 dollars is ridiculous. There HAS to be a cheaper way. Full coverage is the way to go though. I would have paid big time with out it. Better to be out an extra 700 a year instead of 9 grand in one day.

-Kemosabe
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:21 AM

Thumbs down I feel your pain

YIKES!!!!!

I hear you dude. We went around on this before, so I'll be breif.

When I checked into allstate, my agent flat out told me they wanted to get out of the market. "Increased pay-outs" my butt.

You might consider getting just liability and theft. That will bring it down to a "reasonable" $1100 a year with a large deductable. At least that's what I saw from progressive.

It should be illegal to make a jump like that! Where the phuck is the AMA or the other's that I donate to and claim that they are looking after my rights?!?!?!?

I guess I lied about being brief.

Check with state farm. They offered $1100/year full coverage. At the last minute they gave me some bullsh!t excuse about why they couldn't write me a policy. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Last edited by tigertex; 01-02-2002 at 08:24 AM.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:30 AM

Thumbs down

DAAA-AM Pete! That is some BS!

God, I hope they dont hit me like that, especially when I just spent $600 to avoid making a claim.

When I bought the ZX9, my agent told me that they are no longer issuing new motorcycle policies. They said that their rate system is bad in that they charge by CC rather than bike type and are revamping their rate system and will insure bikes in the future. I guess a 1100cc cruiser was costing more to insure than a 900cc sportbike and, as you mentioned, they're paying out on the underpriced (ya right!) sportbike policies.
The only reason they took the 9 was because I was already a policy holder for the VFR (phew!) So far my rate on the 9 is under $500/year full coverage (knock on wood)
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:31 AM

Really Sux Pete.....
I already paid for my years worth to Progressive,
so it will be locked in for another 8 mos, but it
was about $1950.00 for the Ninja....
I plan on looking into State Farm as well..!!!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:14 AM

5000 for full coverage or 272 for liability, that was a real hard choice for me
1 ticket thats not on my record, no at fault accidents. Married with 3 kids and the bike is not the primary mode of transportation.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:08 PM

Red face That SUX!!!

Geez Pete,that really blows!!!
Allstate never really wanted to insure Sportbikes anyway.
Back in 1993 when I had just picked up the Kat,brand new, they would not even insure the bike. It was on their "list". I got a chance to see the list back then and there were NO Ducati's on the list. I am sure they have made the list by now.
I am with Progressive now,(last 3 years), and pay only $245.00 a year,including towing.
Being older helps!!

JIM
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:34 PM

When I got the 6R after Thanksgiving, I checked with GEICO. You see all those "We want your business" full page adds in EVERY bike mag, and I'm 51, with a clean record. Gotta be a good deal there.

WRONG! The girl asked the bike type and said, "Sorry, not interested." Wouldn't take it at all.

If I hadn't been with USAA for the last 30 years, I'd probably be without insurance.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joss
If I hadn't been with USAA for the last 30 years, I'd probably be without insurance.
You me and a few other people...when all the rate hikes started happening, I called USAA and asked them what there story was. they did in fact raise their rates in Arizona by .05% on all motorcycle policies to counteract the increase in the number of motorcycles owned going up so fast. Or so I was told...sure enough my policy went up by a whopping $3 per bike I think...
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:03 AM

"....by a whopping $3 per bike I think..."

Hey, Will. I think USAA is one of the understated (and few remaining since the GI Bill rusted away) benefits of "taking the King's shilling" for some period of time. How many other insurance companies send you money back every year?

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode