Thieves work on New Years Day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Thieves work on New Years Day

Today I pick up the keys to my new house. My girlfriend and I are really excited. I made sure that she wait for me to get home from work before going into the house so that we could do it together. So, last night we were talking about what stuff we are going to move first. I told her that I was going to move the motorcycle first because it's been under a car port for 7 months and I want go give it a nice warm, dry garage for once. When we got home last night from spending a couple days at Donner Lake I looked at the bike to make sure that there wasn't a lot of water collecting on it from the rain. It splashes from the ground up onto it. This morning it was gone.....not the water....my bike.
I had the steering lock on it and an 80 dollar bicycle U-lock in the rear wheel that takes liquid nitrogen to break. I think the lock itself guarantees bicycles up to 2000 dollars. Not too great for a 10K motorcycle though. Oh, then I had my car parked perpendicular to the bike so they would have had to slide it out from the spot and then use multiple people to lift it onto a truck. Not an easy task at 400 lbs when the wheels will not roll. This is one time when I am glad I have full coverage on it. The police said that they recover 70-75% of them with in 2 days to 2 weeks. After that it's anyone's guess. He said that most stolen bikes are "joy rides". I don't think that some one would go through the effort to circumvent a steering lock, ignition, and U-lock for a "joy" ride in the middle of the night on New Years day in a pouring down rain storm. I don't expect to see it again. I just hope that the insurance covers most of the cost. I guess thieves work on New Years Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:34 AM
Founder

Thumbs down

Shit.

#1 I hope you find the bike or at least get enough money to replace it 100%.

#2 I hope they catch the bastards who did it so you can post thier name, number and address here so a few of our Cali members can pay them a visit.

Best of luck to ya bro.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:44 AM

Man I'm sorry to hear about that. Mine was stolen about a month ago so I know how you feel. I am supposed to be getting a check from State Farm in the next day or so.

Best of luck on recovering your ride.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

A guy at my work told me that he knows some guys that steal sport bikes and then re-sell them. He said he would ask them. If I find out who these guys are, I am turning them in....whether they have my bike or not. They deserve to go down.
I am not ruling our the possibility that they would use it for parts also.
I guess I will look at the new R6's and GSXR750's a little closer now. Assuming I get the highest blue book I can get for it.

--kemo
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss man. Thats rough. In the club i belong to up here, the local authorities let us know about the stolen bikes and we put all the info on oue web site. That way, anyone looking at the site is another pair of eyes keeping an eye out for anything missing. It's worked great too, we helped to bust a theft ring and recovered over 35 bikes and a few cars. Might be an idea for SBW to try.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

I went to a Sacramento Sport Bike Club web site (of which I am NOT a member) and e-mailed them to ask them if they could post something about my bike. I assume they have something like that but I didn't look into their site too heavily to check it out. I doubt that the bike will ever be ridden on the road in one piece ever again though. They will probably just strip it.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of my insurance? I had 3000 miles on it. No pictures of it. It was in PERFECT condition. I had cut off the fender and re-mounted the plate higher...then added frame sliders but those were the only mods. No dings, dents, scratches, or anything. The only service info I have is for the 600 mile inspection. I did one oil change myself and that's it. I got the Kelley Blue Book retail as being 9600+...of course you can buy a new one from the lot for 8400 now. Let me know if you have any ideas...thanks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:44 AM
elo

Sorry about that Shrub! I know what it feels like! Don't expect to see your bike again. 75% recovery rate? Bull$*it!

As to the insurance company, don't take their first offer from your insurance company, (unless they blow your socks off of course!). Negotiate until you get a fair deal. If you have all your receipts, those will help you a lot. Stick to blue book, and do a price comparison of what your bike is selling for, in dealerships and in the cycle traders. Don't expect to get the full amount, but close to what it would cost you to buy the exact same bike with the exact same mileage.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wet Shrub
I went to a Sacramento Sport Bike Club web site (of which I am NOT a member) and e-mailed them to ask them if they could post something about my bike. I assume they have something like that but I didn't look into their site too heavily to check it out. I doubt that the bike will ever be ridden on the road in one piece ever again though. They will probably just strip it.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of my insurance? I had 3000 miles on it. No pictures of it. It was in PERFECT condition. I had cut off the fender and re-mounted the plate higher...then added frame sliders but those were the only mods. No dings, dents, scratches, or anything. The only service info I have is for the 600 mile inspection. I did one oil change myself and that's it. I got the Kelley Blue Book retail as being 9600+...of course you can buy a new one from the lot for 8400 now. Let me know if you have any ideas...thanks.

They will only give you wholesale value if you paid cash for it. If it's fiananced Im not sure if they will pay off the loan amount or not.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:03 AM

Thumbs down

Bummer Seems like when I lived in the Sac. area there were lots of stolen bikes and cars. What PD told you that recovery rate? I have friends that work for the S.O. and they dont even search for stolen vehicles unless it was used in a felony or part of a suspected "theft ring". Not to discourage you. Hope they find it or do not and you get that 9600.00+ from the insurance. Either way hope it works out for you.

Happy New Year thieves, may you ride straight into an oncoming big rig, punks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:23 AM

Angry

Sorry about your loss. Just once I'd love to catch these bastards in the act...Anyways, stay on your law enforcement agency (police or sheriff). They usually have an auto theft task force who cruise looking for stolen vehicles. Make sure your bike gets on their "hot sheet". Call them dailyfor an update. Remember, lots of cops ride, and many who do, ride sportbikes. The weather in our area has been real rainy. My guess is that your bike is in someone's garage and will be on the road the first nice day there is. Hang in there..Let's hook up and ride sometime...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode