What's the min useful temp for leathers? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

What's the min useful temp for leathers?

Please share some experience here.

With non-perfed leathers (providing a very GOOD wind barrier) and long johns, what is the lowest temp you have found them comfortable for several hours of riding?

I am looking for a solution to about a 45-50 degree problem. That's about as low as I will see in Savannah (that I want to ride in anyway.) It gets colder, but not so often that I have to be suicidal about riding in it .

I have been "making do" with various non-bike gear, but I want to move up. My Goretex "field jacket" keeps me warm, but beats me to death on the arms with flapping, and the "coat-length" bunches up at the crotch. Flapping is bad with every other textile coat I have. Same with some light nylon over-pants. On top of that, none of these give much protection from a spill.

I have my eye on a used set of non-vented leathers that should permit room for long-johns (about $300). I'm guessing that this combo would work pretty good, but buying them is the only way I can find out, unless you help.

Yes, I know the Aerostitch Roadcrafter would be perfect. But, I am just not quite ready to pop for the $800-$900 yet. Generally, I try to make several inappropriate purchases first to save money. After wasting several hundred $, I go back and and buy the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:53 PM

1. the leathers -n- long johns should do fine for 45-50deg

youre prof says fleet management , like gsa fleet?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Secasarge, Fleet = local county government fleet (i.e. some of everything; dozers, ambulances, police cars, road graders, etc, etc, etc).

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joss
Secasarge, Fleet = local county government fleet (i.e. some of everything; dozers, ambulances, police cars, road graders, etc, etc, etc).
oh cause i do GSA fleet management for the military org. im in
i.e. cars vans etc..
also you suck 45 - 50 degrees? god i ride with my jacket- n- jeans
in that weather! here it has not gotten above 32 degrees since
dec15th.

Last edited by secasarge; 01-02-2002 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 AM

Based on experience (but I'm a bit cold natured), I think you'll do fine with a layer or two under your leathers. Fingers might be the only problem on longer rides.
One thing to consider is how smooth the layer next to your skin is. Way back, I once wore long johns (typical rough weave) and went down one November (cold tires). I had on a light, nylon Addidas jacket, which didn't have a scratch on it! Unfortunately, my left forearm (which hit first) got a case of road rash, apparently from the movement/burn caused by the shift in the long johns. My arm hurt like the dickens, but I figured it was just bruised since the outerwear didn't have a scratch. Imagine my surprise when I got home and peeled the jacket off...
Anywho...you might want to try some bicycle shops in your area. I used to do a bit of bicycle road racing, and a lot of the stuff designed for bicyclists transfers well to motorcycling. You can also try Sierra Trading Post, as they have great prices on all kinds of gear. I've bought a lot of closeouts/seconds, etc from 'em over the years.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
http://www.performancebike.com/
http://www.nashbar.com/index.cfm

To carry it one step further, consider an electric vest (I've got a Widder collarless). Got the collarless unit since it packs small, and I always have it in my Concours. I haven't used it on the 6R yet, but I have a hookup on it (also doubles as my Battery Tender hookup). If you're out leather shopping, you could buy a jacket with a removable liner, remove the liner, and use the vest instead if temps require. I bought the Kawasaki jacket which matches the bike's paint scheme. List is around $400, but Ron Ayers sold it for $300. They won't take exchanges without a restocking fee (on special orders), so I got Competition Accessories to price match, and ordered from them.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:39 AM

Leathers & long johns alone are easily good to 40 deg.....I ride in that that range just wearing leather jacket, thermal underwear shirt & leather pants.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

OK and thanks. I just ordered the used leathers from the Leather Exchange. Delivery is expected Monday and testing will follow immediately.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:45 AM

You should be good to go with leathers and long johns. Suggestions:

1. Get good gloves

2. Get good boots.

3. (this may sound dumb) Use a neckerchief or bandanna around your neck to keep cold air out. It keeps it from coming into the neck of your leathers and from going up into your helmet and turning your ears into ice.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12
(this may sound dumb) Use a neckerchief or bandanna around your neck to keep cold air out. It keeps it from coming into the neck of your leathers and from going up into your helmet and turning your ears into ice.
‘Course, you could get some of those nifty, comfortable Land’s End turtlenecks! They’re well made, very reasonable, and have a long neck, which can be unfolded up over your mouth/nose in a pinch. Any time the weather allows (and sometime when it doesn’t), I ride with my turtlenecks. Weather aside, the turtleneck keeps my leathers from chafing my neck.
They’re only $17.50 each, & come in 100% cotton or 60/40 blend-my favorite, as they feel softer than 100% cotton.

Lands End Turtlenecks
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0.../&fromsearch=1

I tried to generate enough interest to see ‘bout having the Sportbike World logo embroidered on the neck, but no one seems real interested, and I’m off to other things.
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14948
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Basicblur: Even better are than turttle necks are those spandex tubes called "neck gaiters". You pull it on over your head, as a separate turtle neck. Leave the top up over your chin and the bottom of it goes into your jacket. That pretty well cuts off the wind in that area. It is some better than cotton/wool because it blocks the wind better (cotton/wool leak air pretty bad).

GABandit12: I have the boots (Sidi Stradas) and they do fine. You are right about gloves though. Hands are the weak link without special attention. The Teknic gloves I have do about as well as leather gloves can, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode