European riding endeavor - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Question European riding endeavor

Some buddies and i are headed to europe this coming summer. We deceided this past xmas to go and have started planning to make sure it is a good trip. Tenatively we are aiming for Germany, France, Italy and maybe Spain. All four of us are in the service and using Space A tickets for travel to germany. 3 of the 4 of us are avid riders, riding atleast 4 to 5 times a week and the "newbie" still having almost two years experience, we are working on the getting the 4th guy his first bike. My question is, what is the availability of renting motorcycles in Europe? Does anyone out there have prior experience with this situation? Would it be beneficial to ship our own bikes over for the trip or just rent local for site-seeing tours? Are their great difficulties involving US tags and such? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 04:32 PM

Good for you, Rice. I reckon you'll have a ball !
I'll check out bike rental sites and prices for you and get back to you soon. Do you have some sort of plan formulated, ie. where you're starting from , how long the trip is gonna last, how long do you want the bikes for etc. ? Just to give me an idea of what and where to look at.

As for shipping your own bikes over, my best mate shipped his Wing from England to Vancouver (return) for about 800. This may seem expensive, but he covered 7000 miles in 4 weeks and if he'd done the Harley hire thing he'd have been paying 5 cents per mile after the 1500 mile limit. Plus he had the pleasure of riding his own bike and all the interest his registration plate brought. So you'll have no problems with your tags as you call them.

Don't hesitate to ask any of the Euro guys for help. We're only too happy to.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:16 AM

I am stationed at Ramstein AB in Germany. There is at least one place I know of that rents out motorcycles. They are a dealer and sell BMW, Yamaha and Honda. I have rented from them before and test rode several times.
The main thing with this shop in particular is that you must have a military drivers liscense which alows you to drive in Germany. This liscence is only given to Military members. you can probably get a temp since you are not stationed here.
I would not ship my bike over if I were you only because it is a hassle trying to get it registered and inspected. Secondly I don't know if you can register and inspect a vehicle for a short period of time like you want to. Thirdly if your friends are not military only God knows what they would have to do to get a bike registered and insured here in Germany.
To sum this all up, I would just come on over and rent bikes. I say this only because of what I know and had to go through with my bike. Be prepared to spend big $$$. I rented the R6 for 1 day and it costs $90.
Let me know if you need any more help.
Good luck!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:29 AM

If you are shipping your bike over for a holiday, you don't need to have it inspected or anything. You are on holiday and the only thing that you need to worry about is insurance. As long as the bike is leaving the continent again, no problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

All four of us have a military driver's license. The other three guys will be graduating from USAFA and be 2LT's when we go. It is starting to sound like we might just rent bikes in germany for a day or two then maybe france for a day or two, then just use public trans after that. should we make sure we all have the motorcycle endorsement on our driver's licenses and not just the permits? it has been something i have been meaning to do via a MSF course, but just have not gotten around to it. thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode