Mom and Dad are gonna kill me - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mom and Dad are gonna kill me

how THE FRICK am i gonna get my parents to let me get a bike. i'm 18 but i'm going to junior college and living with my mom and she REFUSED to cosign for a bike for me. do i REALly need a cosigner and can i just get my buddy to cosign? he's over 18. anyways, how did you guys overcome the parental "bikes are too dangerous" hurdle? thanx guys, later!
-gabe
p.s. do i REALLY need a cosigner to finance any of the price of a bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 07:51 PM

You've got a major hurrdle to over-come. Be 18 and act responsible !! My parents too were dead against me having a bike (even though my dad rode them, but he also flew Spitfires and I couldn't get one of those either !) but I guess I convinced them that I had to be trusted and also I wasn't interested in having a car. Plus all my mates were on bikes and I was going to be going on the back of them so it would be better to have my destiny in my own hands.

Can you sign up for some sort of training course (hiring a bike) ?
It may help to let then see that you're set on having two wheels.

Good luck.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 09:49 PM

diplomacy

Ease your way in, if you show pictures of open class sposts machines they'll fear that their genetic message will not be passed on. Show pics of off road bikes (so safe no traffic!) or small unintimidating machines. Once they come to terms with two wheels everything else is just a natural progression.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:11 AM

usually if you have over half of the purchase price in cash to put down, you don't need a co-signer. If you have to finace it, you probably will need one. Look into a used bike you can pay cash for.

As for the parents, emphasize low costs, commuting, building up credit, being safe and responsible, wear all the right stuff, don't do burnouts and wheelies in the driveway, and don't ever tell them about this one time, when you just had to punch it ot outrun these flashing lights......

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:17 AM

Talking

I'm 33 and my parents are still against me riding! hehe...

You can skip being 19 and 20 years old and just turn 21... then you can do what you want... but they will still rag on you!

Save up for a used bike.
Do not lose your temper when negotiating with your parents about the bike.
Take a safety riders course.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:22 AM

yeah

start out looking at scooters even, show her pictures of them and crap like that. then when she gets into it, say you found a cheap zx250 somewhere. keep going up til you get there
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:16 AM

Grubburg,

My parents were agains me having a bike as well. I bought my first one while in college (i did tell them before I bought it). In my opinion the best thing to do is buy a bike you can afford without a loan that needs your parents to cosign, then show them that you are a responsible for rider. Keep all your registrations and insurance up to date, as well as any payments on the bike you may have, this shows signs of fiscal resposibility. Make sure you always wear your helmet and don't act the fool on your bike. If you go down 2 months after getting a bike it will not bode well for parental approval the next time around. If you are going to be living in your parents house I wouldn't do too much to piss them off (i.e buying a busa). Start with an SV 650 (my first bike was a 1972 CB 500 that I paid $500 for) or a used CBR 600 etc. Get some riding history under your belt then go for the big bore bike if you want it.

My mother always told me that if I ever bought a bike she would kick me out of her house. But after having te bike for 2 years in college she saw that I was responsible for it and loved riding, she let me move back home after college and stopped nagging but I know she is still concerned and always tells me to be careful. - and rightfully so. I have been on my own for a while now and own 3 bikes - just love em. Your parents too will come around as long as you do the right thing.

Just be responsible and things will work themselves out. Like a previous post said, dont do burnouts in the driveway.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

tom petty- mary jane is the greatest song ever

the scooter idea is good and the whole "comuting" approach is good. i'm gonna say like "mom, did you know that the money we pay for gas leaks it's way down to the middle east and terrorists" and then i'm gonna say like "did you know that if every car in america got 2.7 mpg better, we wouldn't import ANY oil from the middle east" and she will be like... "Woooow....."

then i'm gonna be like, if i could get something new for 4 grand and get over 40 miles per gallon, would you be interested in helping me put a down payment on?

then she will say, as long as it's not a croach rocket. then she'll talk to my dad and my uncles and it'll all be down hill from there. MAN, i have no chance. i'm just gonna come home with it. i swear to god, i'm just gonna buy it.

merry christmas and a happy new year fellaS!
-gabe
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:58 AM

I was 27 years old and had been away from home since the age of 18 and Mom still said, "You'll get a bike over my dead body." I responded with a laugh and, "Are you paying the bills in my house?" I told her that if she wanted to start paying my bills again then I would respect her wishes. Needless to say, I bought the bike.

You on the other had have a tough hurdle but the idea of working it in slowly as mentioned.

Of course you can tell them that it's the over 40 crowd that is dying more on bikes now.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:06 AM

Yup, when I was 18 I started trying to get a bike. I went through all the same motions with the parents, they sorta humoured me for awhile but eventually I realized there was no way they would help me finance one. So now it's 2 and a half years later and I just now finally saved up enough and bought a very nice used CBR up front.
It was a rough road of pretty much 2 years of scrounging but it was worth it. My parents actually became very supportive after they realized me getting one was imminent. They even chipped in on a nice new Arai helmet this christmas.
So I guess the moral is just dont give up the dream and eventually you can make it happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode